Smaller smoothing caps / Current Draw?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
altitude

Smaller smoothing caps / Current Draw?

Post by altitude »

I'm at the fitting stage for my case and those big ass smoothing caps are a major headache for clearances between the boards so does any have a sense of how much current is being drawn through those or if I could go down to a smaller cap (Say 1000 uF)? I can get those in a 12.5x15 size..

textile

Re: Smaller smoothing caps / Current Draw?

Post by textile »

1000mfd would work if the voltage rating is fine.
Generally you want a nice big psu filter caps for a constant smooth supply for the micro controller , but 1000mfd will be fine IMO.
You can get smaller 2000mfd caps, have a search at mouser.

altitude

Post by altitude »

I found some Nichicon high temp ones which were 10x20 and just bent them 90 deg to the board so those are a non-issue now. By moving a few parts to the other side of the board, I can now mount the I/O board so that it is touching the tops of the DIN connectors and the whole deal is less than an inch thick so getting this into a enclosure with 58mm tall side profiles wont be an issue at all..

textile

Post by textile »

Out of interest what sort of case are you using? If you don't mind me asking.
Is it a hammond one , or a custom unit?

altitude

Post by altitude »

textile wrote:Out of interest what sort of case are you using? If you don't mind me asking.
Is it a hammond one , or a custom unit?
It will be a custom FPE job like Ripe909's (http://www.socialentropy.com/bassline/) and ze' German's. Front panel express with type 2 profile sides (2.20" tall). SubStyler used a custom board so I wont be able to go to the short profile side but I can live with 2" thick. I definitely want to go with 3mm LEDs though. I'll probably get it screened so if people are interested, I can do a run of them to get the prices down a bit but they will be pricey (~$200) since I want all sorts of BANNED stuff like blind holes for the standoffs and so forth

textile

Post by textile »

You should enquire at a local metal fab to see if they can beat the price. It looks like these cases can be flat packed ,so one could get the panels made up. FPE are a bit expensive , but convenient :)
Blind holes sound nice.

I use 2mm Lumex leds on my units , they are nice , not intrusive to the eye , flat top as well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”