CPUs preloaded with SokkOS?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alison87

CPUs preloaded with SokkOS?

Post by alison87 »

I've struggled and struggled with flashing my firmware, each time ending with a non-functional OS or a "half an OS" (some functionality works fine but certain modes don't work at all). My second-last attempt left me with a 100% working x0xb0x but the tempo was somehow running 10x too fast so it screwed up shuffle and made it impossible to tap tempo or even set it effectively with the knob. Then my next attempt completely hosed the CPU - i think the bootloader is corrupted because now c0ntr0l doesn't recognize it at all in bootload mode or otherwise. I'd buy a new CPU, but that would leave me back at v1.05, which defeats the whole point.

My question is, is there any way to get a x0xb0x CPU preloaded with SokkOS instead of the default OS? Or is there anyone with a dedicated programmer who can take dead CPUs and upgrade them, bootloader and all? I am in Canada, if that helps at all.

textile

Re: CPUs preloaded with SokkOS?

Post by textile »

There are some on ebay uk with sokkOS pre burned .
Are your fuses set?

Check out pony prog. Its a really easy build and straight forward to use. I flash my x0x chips with it, although you need a PC.
I did a topic on setting the fuses with pony prog in making x0x.

have a look here :arrow: http://www.lancos.com/prog.html you need the 40pin

alison87

Post by alison87 »

Unfortunately i only have access to a Mac right now, which is half of the problem :( My only successful flash was with JavrProg on Windows XP a couple years ago. Thanks for the eBay suggestion, i might try those guys out if i don't find a closer option.

How do you "set" a fuse? I do have enough electronics experience to follow circuits and replace a socketed CPU, but i can't solder and bought this prebuilt.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

"thebeast" sells them, i bought a built xox from him and highly recommend. £10.

his site;

http://www.thebeast.co.uk/purchase/index.html

textile

Post by textile »

Fuse setting is a little nuts at first. Different programs do it differently .
A pre-burnt chip will have this on it and it won't be altered unless told to by a programmer.
I loaded up on this forum how to do it with pony prog. They are all the same hex code but different ways to set on different apps. Fuses just set the way the chip operates. There are other fuse topics here on the forum.

It is a little nuts to learn but it is easy after.

I have an old pc laptop which I got for $10 which I use for the odd pc only app - MAME games and Micro controller burning :D
I use a mac as my main . I plan burn a usb tiny and then use it on my mac , but what I've got does the job well, so I'll just save my parts for when the old dos box dies.

I am curious as to why/how you chip got damaged?

When fuses aren't set funny things happen like what you describe. It might just of altered these?!?

Good Luck!

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

If someone in the US sold these, i'd buy one. I just can't get the SookOS installed on my b0x no matter what i do!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”