New Firmware project

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
3phase

Re: New Firmware project

Post by 3phase »

sorry.. i am really pissed off.. i am totaly on the side of adafruit when it comes to people that dont give credit.. but when you sleep and dont interfear before the group buy is up its your fault that you havent warned the users... this buy could have been stopped..

to just jump in the comunikation of other people and throw them out in the midlle of the ongoing process. maybe causing them private money and reputation loss.. instead going against the source of the problem is week...

sorry for my hard words... but the group buy was on for weeks.. when you dont moderate the forum or at least watch it or inform the users about the bad company you should to be more tollerant when such things happen..

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

3phase wrote:sorry.. i am really pissed off.. i am totaly on the side of adafruit when it comes to people that dont give credit.. but when you sleep and dont interfear before the group buy is up its your fault that you havent warned the users... this buy could have been stopped.. to just jump in the comunikation of other people and throw them out in the midlle of the ongoing process. maybe causing them private money and reputation loss.. instead going against the source of the problem is week... sorry for my hard words... but the group buy was on for weeks.. when you dont moderate the forum or at least watch it or inform the users about the bad company you should to be more tollerant when such things happen..
hi 3phase, we watch the forums all the time - we contacted the seller and the cloner (cy) - dan did not want to stop the group buy and cy has still not credited our designs he is selling. we believe we gave everyone time to 1) stop the group buy and 2) credit us. when it was clear to us that we would not be credited we informed dan that until we are credited for the designs that cy is selling (and he is buying) he cannot use the forums. we cannot allow someone to use our forums and resources to sell uncredited cloned x0xb0xes. once cy credits us and/or the group buy is over we will reactivate dan's account and update the post about cy (chipforbrains, technology transplant). we value what dan is doing, we love his contributions to the project - we think what cy is doing to everyone is very unfair to dan.

-adafruit

Luap

Post by Luap »

adafruit wrote: hi 3phase, we watch the forums all the time - we contacted the seller and the cloner (cy) - dan did not want to stop the group buy and cy has still not credited our designs he is selling. we believe we gave everyone time to 1) stop the group buy and 2) credit us. when it was clear to us that we would not be credited we informed dan that until we are credited for the designs that cy is selling (and he is buying) he cannot use the forums. we cannot allow someone to use our forums and resources to sell uncredited cloned x0xb0xes. once cy credits us and/or the group buy is over we will reactivate dan's account and update the post about cy (chipforbrains, technology transplant). we value what dan is doing, we love his contributions to the project - we think what cy is doing to everyone is very unfair to dan.

-adafruit
Oh please.. Adafruit has scarcely given a hoot for the x0xb0x in a long time. Lack of support, wiped waiting list for kits then offloading the store onto someone else, plus that talk of even moving the forums on elsewhere made that abundantly clear.
So is this not a lot of fuss you are making about having your name stuck on something you care so little for? What is in it for Adafruit now? Google hits to boost Drawdio sales or something?
It's not like there is much by way of credit to Roland by you guys on here. Instead they get little more than a passing mention. Despite the fact the core of the x0xb0x is Rolands design. Not yours.
From where I am sitting, it rather looks like Adafruit is throwing stones at Cy and Helyx while in Rolands glass house.

And now thanks to this pedantry over licensing, you jeopardise these neat firmware and cpu projects. Yet these projects are nothing to do with Cy.
On the subject of Cy, I have no idea if he is a straight player or not, we shall see. But still, why let it spoil these unrelated projects? Unless there is more to this than you are letting on, then I believe you senselessly restricted Helyx's forum account.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Luap wrote:Oh please.. Adafruit has scarcely given a hoot for the x0xb0x in a long time. Lack of support, wiped waiting list for kits then offloading the store onto someone else,

we found the best persons to work with to continue selling and support the x0xb0x project, our customers are very happy now - the project continues.
Luap wrote:plus that talk of even moving the forums on elsewhere made that abundantly clear.
that is also not correct.
Luap wrote:So is this not a lot of fuss you are making about having your name stuck on something you care so little for? What is in it for Adafruit now? Google hits to boost Drawdio sales or something?
it is our design, if cy wants to sell our designs he needs to credit us and abide by the license and what we've requested - it's that simple. no one else has a problem with this and there are dozens of thriving businesses that follow the license. this is how open source hardware works.

if you don't make anything or do anything creative, you might not care about getting credit.
Luap wrote:It's not like there is much by way of credit to Roland by you guys on here. Instead they get little more than a passing mention. Despite the fact the core of the x0xb0x is Rolands design. Not yours.
we clearly credit roland, no one has ever questioned what the x0xb0x is or how / why it was made.
Luap wrote:From where I am sitting, it rather looks like Adafruit is throwing stones at Cy and Helyx while in Rolands glass house. And now thanks to this pedantry over licensing, you jeopardise these neat firmware and cpu projects. Yet these projects are nothing to do with Cy. On the subject of Cy, I have no idea if he is a straight player or not, we shall see. But still, why let it spoil these unrelated projects? Unless there is more to this than you are letting on, then I believe you senselessly restricted Helyx's forum account.
again, not correct. we gave cy many chances and deadlines (his promises to helyx were not kept for any deadlines) - when it was clear that cy was not going to credit us for our designs that he is selling and making a profit we temporarily suspended dan's account because he was using it to coordinate a group buy after we asked him to halt it until cy resolved the attribution issues. dan did or could not, and that's it. once cy credits our work and/or the group buy is over dan's account will be activated again - dan knows this, so does everyone else.

keep in mind, you're seeing the end of the story - not the beginning or all of our efforts - any reasonable person would agree we made every effort and was fair. anyone can make x0xb0xes, our designs, they just need to credit us when they sell them. that is more than fair and very generous.

if you have any more questions on this matter email [email protected] directly, do not post in the forums regarding this again.

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

I've created a new group to continue the discussion of the new firmware at Yahoo, so that Helyx can continue to participate:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/x0x_firmware

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we have reactivated dan's account on the forums - we believe that he's done everything possible he could in this situation. welcome back dan.

antto

Post by antto »

thanks ;]

rv0

Post by rv0 »

thanks

dnigrin

Post by dnigrin »

Much appreciated!

3phase

Post by 3phase »

and how is helyx now? has his group buy worked out? i am rather worried that the guys might get ripped off than about the little to no damage adafruit is taking from an unfair competitor..

whatever the reasons are the guy has behaved so strangly.. it lets appear the whole deal a bit risky..
thumps up that helyx recieves a popper xoxbox as promised so that the development of a new os is fun for him..

good luck

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

3phase wrote:and how is helyx now? has his group buy worked out? i am rather worried that the guys might get ripped off than about the little to no damage adafruit is taking from an unfair competitor..whatever the reasons are the guy has behaved so strangly.. it lets appear the whole deal a bit risky.. thumps up that helyx recieves a popper xoxbox as promised so that the development of a new os is fun for him.. good luck
that's an uniformed thing to say- we do not sell x0xb0xes do obviously we are not concerned about "an unfair competitor" - we are more concerned with 1) not seeing people get ripped off and 2)making sure any open source hardware designer gets credited properly.

3phase

Post by 3phase »

adafruit wrote:
3phase wrote:and how is helyx now? has his group buy worked out? i am rather worried that the guys might get ripped off than about the little to no damage adafruit is taking from an unfair competitor..whatever the reasons are the guy has behaved so strangly.. it lets appear the whole deal a bit risky.. thumps up that helyx recieves a popper xoxbox as promised so that the development of a new os is fun for him.. good luck
that's a uniformed thing to say- we do not sell x0xb0xes do obviously we are not concerned about "an unfair competitor" - we are more concerned with 1) not seeing people get ripped off and 2)making sure any open source hardware designer gets credited properly.

i know.. but the guy that has the trouble here is/was helyx and not you.. its his money that is in danger here and it would be beneficial for all users when a guy that is experianced with the programming of the cpu becomes a xox owner.. i still think that you overreacted and used him to create pressure on the nasty competitor..

i wonder if you would have been so after it when not a friend of you would have joined the biz.

but the people that do xoxbox biz should settle theire differences without involving or pressuring unguilty users..especially not the kind of user that has shown so much will to work for the good of all users and xox biz makers..

with a new os and a larger cpu the unit might be able to affect the second hand prices of real 303´s and get better sales.. and gets better known this way..

whoever trys to steal your development wont succeed anyway with hidding your name.. the xoxbox is adafruit..
its connected so strongly one cant miss it... and with a new os happening on your forum that gets even stronger...

your actions actually was working against your own interest as they was working again user interest..

As i said.. hope it turms out all well for helyx and hope he is not pissed off...
we need him !!
and the others willing to develop something cool on top of the exsisting infrastructure aswell...
Last edited by 3phase on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

3phase wrote:i know.. but the guy that has the trouble here is/was helyx and not you.. its his money that i in danger here and it would be beneficial for all users when a guy that is experianced with the programming of the cpu becomes a xox owner.. i still think that you overreacted and used him to create pressure on the nasty competitor.. i wonder if you would have been so after it when not a friend of you wuld have joined the biz. but the people that do xoxbox biz should settle theire differences without involving or pressuring unguilty users..especially not the kind of user that has shown so much will to work for teh god of all users and xox biz makers....
most of what you are saying does not make any sense. again, completely uniformed, do not comment about this again on the forums - thanks. we asked helyx to halt the group buy to protect everyone involved, he did not. we asked cy to credit the designers (us) he did not. we temporarily disabled dan's account while the group buy still proceeded. we cannot allow someone to use our resources to sell uncredited works of ours.

3phase

Post by 3phase »

do not comment again? otherwise i get banned ? is this web 3.0? i think you should take a deep breath and reconsider before you really damage your reputation as a cool company... there are people with other opinions and to attack me because i wish helyx luck with the bad bad group buy is totaly overreacting again.
i can understand that you are pissed off when somebody dont gives you credit..but how many xoxes are out there by now? does 10 units really matter so much? i dont think this cy guy can do it for so long anyway with damaged reputation..except you play in his hand with nasty forum handling

if somebody stucks in the traffic jam on a crossing..and the traffic lights go red...

what do you do? let them pass or use a bazoka to get them of the crossing?

dan/helyx is really a victim here and not the partner in crime of cy

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

3phase wrote: i can understand that you are pissed off when somebody dont gives you credit..but how many xoxes are out there by now? does 10 units really matter so much?
yes, it matters to anyone who creates things - you're welcome to hang out here, post comments - but not on this subject. we consider the matter closed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”