on board distortion troubles

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
decoder23

on board distortion troubles

Post by decoder23 »

hi, i have some troubles with my distortion kit from x0xsh0p. i tried to contact christian allrdy but maybe he is busy, so i try my luck here :)
i soldered the kit and installed it the way the construction manual tells, but i am not satisfied, or better, i think it doesnt work as it should. maybe i made a mistake or there is a part that doesnt work properly :/
the distortion isnt audiable until i reach a sweet spot at around 3 o'clock of the poti and even there its more like a very soft overdrive. if i turn the poti further the whole volume of the x0xb0x is getting lower.

i am at work at the moment, so i cant tell you now, how i connected it to the x0xb0x. as soon as i am at home i'll update this topic with some usefull information :)
but maybe someone here has allrdy made some experience with this kit and could tell if the distortion works this way (what i dont think), or if i f'd up something...

mazatta

Re: on board distortion troubles

Post by mazatta »

I'm sort of in the same boat...I do hear a little bit of a difference with some settings, but I find it very subtle. Did you get your kit recently?

If you PM me your email, I can send you an mp3 Christian sent me of what it should sound like.

substyler

Post by substyler »

hey guys,

plz look here for another construction manual.
there are some changes in wiring. hope this helps.
http://xoxshop.de/modding/distortion_ki ... manual.pdf

cheers,
SubStyler

mazatta

Post by mazatta »

I switched my wiring around and it does sound a bit better now. I sheepishly admit I *might* have have had a little bit of the high end rolled off on my mixer, so that would have killed some of the effect as well. I will try and post some recordings asap :)

Edit: what does the pot do with this mod?

substyler

Post by substyler »

mazatta wrote:what does the pot do with this mod?
the pot is just for trimming the outgoing volume. if you switch the disto on, it gets a bit louder so you can trim the volume to the same level as without distortion.

decoder23

Post by decoder23 »

hi substyler,

sry for my late reply, i didnt have any time to do anything so far, hope its possible on the weekend. thanks for your audio demo, you sent me per email, it definatly sounds better than my distortion, rly nice. as far as i remember, the construction manual is the same as the one i got with the kit, could it be possible, that i need the older version or have there just been some fixes?
what i didnt quite understand was this sentence in the manual: "you can connect directly from the mainboard J7 PIN1 to the switch or you have to cut the trace from J7 PIN1 on the I/O pcb.
i connected it directly on J7 on the mainboard.

thx for your help so far, i rly appreciate it :)

@mazatta
thx for your offer about the mp3 file. you seem to have fixed your problem, makes me optimistic :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”