My x0xb0x 'Expansion Unit' (External) Modification :)

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Gaetano

My x0xb0x 'Expansion Unit' (External) Modification :)

Post by Gaetano »

I don't know whether or not to post this here, but I was working on mods for my x0xb0x, and then turned my attention to making prototypes, of filters etc., when I came across these, and thought, why re-invent the wheel? This has 3 VCO's 2 VCF's, 2 Audio inputs etc... So I built this (the first of at least 2) to use with my x0xb0x sequencer, I have already made the boards for the second one to use with my second x0xb0x. It is a very good modular unit, which you can make and it goes perfect with x0xen. Instead of modding my x0xen now, I'm going to make a break out box etc., to patch it in with this. Anyone who has Brian's full modded units will probably already be able to do this.
The Ultimate and Expander Combination with one of my x0xen.
The Ultimate and Expander Combination with one of my x0xen.
6 with x0xb0x.jpg (243.5 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
Here is a few pictures of the 'Ultimate' and 'Ultimate Expander', the case is just made from stuff I had around. The wood is a single bed which was built into the house we bought, but made way for a double bed. I removed it and had the wood sitting around doing nothing. The rear drops down on hinges when the back is removed, in order to facilitate any future mods or repairs. The power supply is the 317/337 type with an external 12vAC/0/12vAC centre tapped plug pack plugged in via a 3 pin DIN. These were a good score, they put out ~12VAC @ 1.25A + ~12VAC @ 1.25A perfect for these! It all works but is not calibrated yet as I have yet to build a frequency counter, my old DIY counter is getting to old to use. The second unit should not take as long as this one as I jotted down notes and built both sets of boards simultaneously.
Detailed shot of the 'Expander' unit on the Right hand Side.
Detailed shot of the 'Expander' unit on the Right hand Side.
2 Exp_Detail.jpg (278.01 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
Shot of the rear showing the 'Atomic' Logo (joke), and the 3pin DIN for the power supply. The handle is to pull down the back horizontally to get to the insides easily.
Shot of the rear showing the 'Atomic' Logo (joke), and the 3pin DIN for the power supply. The handle is to pull down the back horizontally to get to the insides easily.
3 Rear_Shot.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 3561 times

You can see them here: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/
Last edited by Gaetano on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decoder23

Re: My x0xb0x 'Expansion Unit' (External) Modification :)

Post by decoder23 »

looks nice! some sound samples would be awsome :mrgreen:

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

where'd you get those awesome jacks?

Gaetano

Post by Gaetano »

The banana jacks?, they are fairly standard, the 3 pin DIN was something I purchased a few years ago for this purpose. I was looking for a centre tapped external Power supply to go with projects like these, so I didn't have to worry about shielding the hum, due to all of the wiring.
Attachments
BackFlip (tied).jpg
BackFlip (tied).jpg (302.33 KiB) Viewed 3511 times

kroutshev

Post by kroutshev »

Very impressive work !
Gaetano you're the master of the wires !!

x-11

Post by x-11 »

Very Nice!!
Looks beautiful Gaetano.
:D

isak

Post by isak »

looks amazing Gaetano!!!

cheers,
Isak E.

Gaetano

Post by Gaetano »

Thanks for you feedback people, I'm going to do another external set of mods to connect the x0xb0x to it (The VCOs are 1v/Oct etc). But everytime I start - something comes up. I'll post a picture when I finally get around to doing it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”