enclosure mods

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikest

enclosure mods

Post by mikest »

(This seems like the most likely spot to start this thread, apologies if it isn't.)

I'm thinking about designing a nifty enclosure for my next x0xb0x, this is the sort of thing that usually requires volume purchases and machine setup costs. ladyada was quite wise in going the prefab cheap plastic route, enclosures & hardware are usually the most expensive part of a synth. For most of you this is perfect, then there is me.

I was thinking of having a folded aluminum enclosure put into a short production run. These things get cheaper rapidly the more you make. I idly wonder out loud: who else would be interested in such a thing? Maybe a variation on the classic wood ends? Maybe a silver powder coat or anodized aluminum? So many options. I have one overriding goal: build it like a tank.

Anyway, that leads me to part two of my rambling on mods: coming from the SynthTech MOTM world I've become accustomed to various design philosophies as they relate to synthesizers (including spending money like a drunken sailor on synth parts...) I'm interested in redoing the board layout of the x0xb0x to accommodate some of the following:

- Panel mounted jacks to prevent board stress, right now those rotary encoders feel really flimsy. This 'ill probably require decoupling the sequencer from the audio board and finding a line of pots that can mount flush (or optionally lowering the audio board and wire mounting the pots, which is time consuming, but bomb proof.) I like spectral & bournes, what's your favorite pot?
- Ditch the greyhill mechanical encoders for longer life optical ones. Or maybe ditch the binary encoders all together...
- 1/4" jacks for CV too.
- Cherry MX key switches for really, really fast editing.
- And maybe SMT for the sequencer and other non-audio path components, I do so loath through-hole soldering...

Of course, this requires redoing the board, and that takes a long time. Is the schematic on the web page the final rev?

Anyway, how interested am I? Well, not enough to go do a one off, but enough to wonder out loud and gather opinions. In the mean time, I'll just play with my x0xb0x "classic" and daydream ;)

djarago

Post by djarago »

I am definately interested in the x0xb0x with a different (rackmountable) case. You can have very nice case made using the services of Front Panel Express to make your face plate. Just buy a case thats about the size you want and swap out the front panel for your own creation. It would likely be way cheaper than what you're suggesting even if you do get several people to go along for it.

I would actually like to build a x0xb0x and ignore the sequencer section so that i can have it fit into a smaller rack mount case. I'm currently working on a tb3031, but I want more tb303 clones!

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

I would agree that tha overall build quality on the kit feels a bit flimsy - but it was cheap! If you are going to redo the PCB, I suggest that you leave the analog portion unchanged - its a good layout the way it is.

Something I thought about was a stacking PCB that could reduce the size of the entire enclosure by 50% or less. There is really no need to have these huge buttons - the only thing I tend to tweak during use are the knobs on the very top and the LED's can certainly be smaller. (think if the buttons and LED's were half the size, and the knobs and encoders were the same, with the analog section PCB stacked under the digital and control PCB - pretty compact!)

It would also be nice to upgrade the quality of the tactile switches - I mean, they work - but they are not a lifetime switch by any means. At some point they will break under heavy use. I think the first thing you could do is put a strain relief onto the pot shafts that secures them to the panel if you are concerned with wear and tear. That will prevent the board from cracking when the x0xb0x hits the floor - but lets hope that never happens!

Post by Guest »

the analog and digital sections of the mainboard
are completely seperate
its almost a straightline shot if you want to cut the
board in half and stack them
or throw the digital section away

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

why would you throw the digital portion away?

BijouBittersolie

Post by BijouBittersolie »

ya, seriously. The sequencer on this thing is incredible.

djarago

Post by djarago »

if i could get the x0xb0x with sequencer into a descent rack size id consider keeping it although I doubt that I'd use it so that's why I'd probably just rather make a smaller rack version. I would still want to keep midi functionality though. i already have midi->cv converters even if i dont keep the midi.

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

well, racking the x0xb0x will be extroadinarily easy to do even with the current rev PCB. You can even make a new one with a new layout and it will not matter - just make another PCB for the front panel, or even just extend all of the leads one by one after mounting the PCB in a rack case. Then mount the power PCB onto the rear of the rack case and you're done.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”