Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Firmware: Need a little advice to get into processing architecture
Moderators: Altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, mome rath

Firmware: Need a little advice to get into processing architecture

by mario1089 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:38 am

Hello,

while most of the code is kinda easy to get, I find a bit hard to understand how sync /clocks / play status is working, espcecially without step-into-debugging.
What I basically want to do - besides other things that I found easy to achieve - is to change the MIDI sync mode in way, that it starts playing not on MIDI-Beat-Clock-Start command, but on "the first noteOn" (numHeldNotes>0) to arrive, and stopping playback after "the last NoteOff" ( numHeldNotes<1). That way I plan to have a nice integration of the whole thing into song-projects, having anything (start/stop, pattern select, current transposition) automatable from MIDI DAW.

A little hacky approach may be to just block the final sending-the-notes (and maybe also block the LED`s lightning), so that it runs silently for numHeldNotes<1, but I wouldn`t mind doing a more proper solution..

Could someone drop me a few sentences how this basically would be done?

Thanx in advance!
mario1089

Re: Firmware: Need a little advice to get into processing architecture

by antto on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:13 am

in pattern_play.c
you can find the code responsible for starting/stoping the internal sequencer
(it's somewhere near the end of the file)

to disable it to react to midi start/stop messages remove these conditions:
((sync == MIDI_SYNC) && (midi_cmd == MIDI_STOP))
((sync == MIDI_SYNC) && ((midi_cmd == MIDI_START) || (midi_cmd == MIDI_CONTINUE)))

then, right above that code you'll see a condition: if (sync == MIDI_SYNC) { ... midi_recv_cmd(); }
so this is a good place to process midi messages
We are here too: irc.freenode.net >>> #x0xb0x
..:: c0nb0x v1.00 ::.. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29282 (new control app - win/osx)
VCO Tuning: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24759 (do it the EASY way)
antto

Re: Firmware: Need a little advice to get into processing architecture

by mario1089 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 am

Perfect, thanx!
Strange I haven`t found that myself:) Should have done more searching..
mario1089