MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Nordcore

Re: MarOS1.4.1 - "Official" Version 1.4.1

Post by Nordcore »

OK, up and running. (In the sense of "seems it works" not as "fully tested" )

The polled tempo encoder on the xOx large CPU requires proper quadrature decoding.
It is sub-sampled a little when moved very fast, and you don't want to "see" that as a movement in the other direction.

"cnt" is the full resolution (which is four times more than clicks), "tk_value" is what you would apply as delta to your tempo - or in our case here, optionally to several parameters of the performance mode. (That is why I moved out the direct setting of the "new_tempo" variable. )

Code: Select all

static uint8_t last_tk=3;
	static int8_t cnt; 
	uint8_t curr_tk;

curr_tk = TEMPO_PIN & 0x3;	// pins A0 and A1
	// clicks are on "3" 
	// CW (+) :  3 -> 1 -> 0 -> 2 -> 3 
	// CCW (-): 3 -> 2 -> 0 -> 1 -> 3 
	if(last_tk!=curr_tk)
	{	// tempo knob change!
		if(   (last_tk==3 && curr_tk==1 )
		   || (last_tk==1 && curr_tk==0 )
		   || (last_tk==0 && curr_tk==2 ) 
		   || (last_tk==2 && curr_tk==3 ) 
		)
		{	// valid CW 
			cnt++; 
			if(cnt==4)
			{
				cnt=0;
				tk_value++;
			}
		}
		else if(    
			   ( last_tk==3 && curr_tk==2 ) 
			|| ( last_tk==2 && curr_tk==0 )
			|| ( last_tk==0 && curr_tk==1 ) 
			|| ( last_tk==1 && curr_tk==3 ) 
		)
		{	// valid CCW
			cnt--;
			if(cnt==-4)
			{
				cnt=0;
				tk_value--;
			}
		}
		else // quad err
			cnt=0;

last_tk = curr_tk;
	}

fortunately we have plenty of code space ...

JuanTT

Post by JuanTT »

Hi Mario, hi guys.

I've been using this firmware since six month ago, I love it. The only thing I dont like is that you have to use a lot the NEXT button to write a sequence. The old TB303 had the pitch mode, can this be emulated (or similar) with MarOS 1.4.1 or 1.5 when it's avaliable?

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

We have an (optional) auto-increment in step write mode. (=Entering notes when stopped in "EDIT").

JuanTT

Post by JuanTT »

Yes! Is is avaliable in 1.4.1 and I've missed it? or it's only in the upcoming 1.5?

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Just in the upcoming version.
(Btw: the "optional" works as in Sokkos 2: User C has option toggle switches on the number (white) keys. )

JuanTT

Post by JuanTT »

Nice! I would donate for it and a bug-free 1.5 :)

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Exciting.

Mario/anyone else;

Im sorry, im an idiot, I have got 2 x0xen so have got a dinsync machine (doh!) I have one which sequences the TM3030, and another stock. I can try to help testing if you like. Sorry

Cheers,
Ben

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

JuanTT wrote:Hi Mario, hi guys.

I've been using this firmware since six month ago, I love it. The only thing I dont like is that you have to use a lot the NEXT button to write a sequence. The old TB303 had the pitch mode, can this be emulated (or similar) with MarOS 1.4.1 or 1.5 when it's avaliable?
In Sokos v1.9 there is this:
x0xb0x Fast edit Mode:
press the TEMPO knob in edit mode to enter fast edit mode. When you press a note key, rest or change the transposition it will step forward by itself.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

hey

guess youre not after feature requests, so apologies but something i thought would be great is a 'ratcheting' sequence, ie one that plays forwards then backwards, most of the code is already there.

Just a thought. Cheers.

maclaren1976

Post by maclaren1976 »

Hey all, i really like this firmware!

One problem I'm encountering is that when i send midi notes with my DAW (Renoise),
my drum machine which is connected through DIN Sync, stops playing.

So what's happening is that when i hit start in my DAW everything starts as expected but when i then send midi note to , for instance, transpose the xoxbox.
the xoxbox will transpose the pattern, but the DIN synced machine stops.

only way i found to deal with it is putting a Note Off just before the Midi note, but this is not really great.

any one else have this?

ciao!

JuanTT

Post by JuanTT »

Hi, is there any new about MarOs 1.5? I'm anxiously waiting for it since June :)

manneokoko

Post by manneokoko »

Hi guys, I have a suggestion that would greatly improve the box for using in live jams and playing along with friends.

In the pattern randomizer, give the possibility to change the root key. Whenever the UP and DOWN buttons have been used to transpose the pattern and the root key, that new root key should be used when you press randomize again.

The problem is this: If I work on a song that is in, say root key F. Then every time I randomize a pattern, I have to press UP key 5 times before I can listen to the new pattern in the same key as all the other instruments. And as you know, when working with randomization in creating patterns, most of the times you have to press the randomize button many times before you stumble upon a good pattern. Which means a lot of button presses for each randomization.

So the suggestion is that the UP and DONW buttons is used for changing the root key. They would still have the same effect on the current pattern (transpose) but also changing the root key for new randomizations.

A nice feature would also be to have the LED of the corresponding root key light up on the keyboard. So whenever you enter randomize mode, the root key that will be used for randomization lights up on the keyboard.

Maybe could even the tempo knob be used to quickly change root key for new randomizations, and the UP and DOWN keys can still be only transpose current pattern.

What do you think?

BTW, I'm amazed about the MAROS. I have had the box since I built it from the first batch, and I didn't think it was possible to make an OS this feature rich. Thanks!

tempomaster

Post by tempomaster »

I was hoping that at the end of this thread would be a post from Mario with Maros1.5 but no luck. I'm guessing something happened to cause him to miss his ETA by so much.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

On it, trying to post my latest version this week.

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

Sorry for the loooong delay, I was so busy with many other projects, and I can't post it without a new documentation. Working on that right now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”