SokkOS, new modified firmware

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joechip

Post by joechip »

Thanks a million glitched.

Joe

matsu yue

Post by matsu yue »

just press "done" at whatever step you want the pattern to end on; for triplets make it 6 or 12 steps long. however, i don't think the 303 or the x0x can change the tempo relationship like the tr drum machines; if you play them against a standard pattern they'll just loop earlier.
yeah, you are right. the 303 cant change time signature like the 606. however it would be cool if someone added it to the x0x os... :-)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Btw, if any of you who are currently trying out the SokkOS finds anything that malfunctions, works bad or you want something added, just post it here and then if I agree, like it and have the time, I'll try to add it.

Current wish list:

better random mode(thinking of it)
different time signatures(not thinking of it)

rarara

Post by rarara »

ok, ive updated my firmware but can't get the same results as desribed previously. can anyone advise??

Pattern Rotate: when I hold Prev and press Next (in Pattern(edit) mode?) it seems to jump one step ahead at a time. When I hold Next and press Prev nothing happens, only the LED changes with each press. This isn't how it should work, right? maybe i am missing the point of rotate

Also, when I hold Chain and press either Prev or Next the patter playing changes quite a lot - its like a cross between the pattern and a wee bit of random mode if that makes sense!

Similar to Pattern Rotate, when I am in Pattern (sync out) mode and I hold Prev and hit Next the pattern seems to jump a few notes forward (more pronounced that with Pattern Rotate described above). When I hold Next and press Prev the pattern simply starts again from the first note. is this how nudge should work?

apart from that, things like swing, loop etc seem fine

derek

resonator

Post by resonator »

^^^ Im having the same problems with pattern rotate and pattern nudge as well.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

rarara wrote:ok, ive updated my firmware but can't get the same results as desribed previously. can anyone advise??

Pattern Rotate: when I hold Prev and press Next (in Pattern(edit) mode?) it seems to jump one step ahead at a time. When I hold Next and press Prev nothing happens, only the LED changes with each press. This isn't how it should work, right? maybe i am missing the point of rotate

Also, when I hold Chain and press either Prev or Next the patter playing changes quite a lot - its like a cross between the pattern and a wee bit of random mode if that makes sense!

Similar to Pattern Rotate, when I am in Pattern (sync out) mode and I hold Prev and hit Next the pattern seems to jump a few notes forward (more pronounced that with Pattern Rotate described above). When I hold Next and press Prev the pattern simply starts again from the first note. is this how nudge should work?

apart from that, things like swing, loop etc seem fine

derek
It sounds like you have the 1.1 firmware and not the 1.2. There were only one or two days between the updates. In 1.1 I got rotate mixed up in edit mode and backwards rotate and nudge was not implemented, instead you had restart on next+prev.

Note that all of the original functionality still is there, this means that if you press chain in pattern edit you will and should get "random" notes. The chain+prev thing only works in pattern play.

I can see two reasons for you having old firmware, first, you might have missed that there actually is a 1.2 fw and assumed that the features in the first post are present in what you have, second, I might have made a mistake of some kind when sending the stuff to glitched, third, glitched might have made a mistake somewhere... That's three, but you get the point, try downloading whats up there now and see if you still have the problems, then I will resend 1.2 to glitched.

/F

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Heyheyhey,

Ah, BANNED...

I just checked my sent folder and indeed, glitched got the 1.2 source files with the 1.1 hex-file.

Anyway, the real thing is on it's way, I also added a README containing the information from the first post in this thread.

So, just keep an eye open for it to appear. :?

(So, I have farked things up twice by doing this late at night, and here I am doing it again. :roll: )

/F

glitched

Post by glitched »

Bing!
http://www.glitched.org/box.html

Updated with the proper file.
Let me know if it's not the right one (again).

The hex file is timestamped with a 9/13 date.

resonator

Post by resonator »

I just finished testing everything (with the exception of Pattern-edit now outputs Midi when running, and MIDI rest bug fixed, which I'll check out tomorrow).

All the features work perfectly.
Thanks again Sokkan for all your efforts....
and thanks again, glitched for hosting the firmware.

8)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

resonator wrote: All the features work perfectly.
Great!

How would a better random mode behave btw? More random? Randomize whats in an existing pattern?

I have been thinking of just hacking together a simple pseudo random generator seeded with current tempo, pattern no and whatnot available in the code to make it a bit more random. Perhaps based on what might be already in the pattern? It might be useful if the pattern would be more and more "randomized" for each press of the chain button?

rarara

Post by rarara »

Sokkan wrote:Heyheyhey,

Ah, BANNED...

I just checked my sent folder and indeed, glitched got the 1.2 source files with the 1.1 hex-file.

Anyway, the real thing is on it's way, I also added a README containing the information from the first post in this thread.

So, just keep an eye open for it to appear. :?

(So, I have farked things up twice by doing this late at night, and here I am doing it again. :roll: )

/F
excellent - was starting to think it might be my soldering skills! will try this evening

resonator

Post by resonator »

Sokkan wrote:I have been thinking of just hacking together a simple pseudo random generator seeded with current tempo, pattern no and whatnot available in the code to make it a bit more random. Perhaps based on what might be already in the pattern? It might be useful if the pattern would be more and more "randomized" for each press of the chain button?
That would be more ideal of how randomized patterns should work (just like Rebirth does).
If you're able to do that with the limited code space left, I'd be pleasantly surprised.
If it can't be done, it wouldn't be a dissapointment either.
I'm really happy with the current features either way.
Excellent work, Sokkan! :D

glitched

Post by glitched »

Sokkan wrote: I have been thinking of just hacking together a simple pseudo random generator seeded with current tempo, pattern no and whatnot available in the code to make it a bit more random. Perhaps based on what might be already in the pattern? It might be useful if the pattern would be more and more "randomized" for each press of the chain button?
I like the seeded random generator type of thing. Also a randomness "range" sounds interesting as well.

Another idea: randomize only slides and accents (not pitches).

SineSurfer

Post by SineSurfer »

Sokkan wrote: How would a better random mode behave btw? More random? Randomize whats in an existing pattern?
I think the easy way(or at least less code)= push "random", get a new pattern with all 16 steps notes, slides, accents, rests, octaves randomized. Then user can modify to pleasure. If you got a good pattern, forgot to save and hit "random again", old pattern is gone. risky, but there lies the beauty.
Sokkan wrote: It might be useful if the pattern would be more and more "randomized" for each press of the chain button?

Yes indeed, as in Rebirth app.

Check my little flash app:x0xb0x patternator, it may give you some ideas... and don't laugh at it:D
the AS code to build the pattern is just 881 bytes and ugly as hell, if you like to take a peek, let me know. edited:(470 bytes after removing graphics code, still ugly)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

I just fooled around with the x0xb0x and noticed some more bugs, I'll see what i can do about it, these are the bugs I know of at the moment:

1. When the x0xb0x is midi master, adding swing on the notes will throw it of a slight bit. When slaving it does not happen and when carefully adding swing between notes you can avoid it. (Should be the same problem as in the evilxox firmware since it is essentially the same code.)

2. When switching between play and edit with the sequencer running the x0xb0x will sometimes miss a note, this can be corrected by just nudging the pattern, but it is BANNED.

3. When rotating a pattern in edit mode the x0xb0x will also register the presses as steps fw/bw in step-edit mode. Hard to avoid, slightly annoying.

4. When pressing the RAS buttons in play mode hysterically and simultaneously you can accidentally lock them in "wrong" mode, ie rest on all steps when _not_ pressing R. I am currently undecided whether this is a bug or a feature...

I plan to look into this some time in the near phuture, and also add a better random mode OR I might have the chain button do a pattern clear in edit mode. I got a request for this, anyone else in favor of that? Pressing chain would then put a rest on all steps n the pattern currently playing. This is for live playing when you want to build up a pattern slowly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”