BANNED Error: couldn't get DeviceID string

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mavzz

BANNED Error: couldn't get DeviceID string

Post by mavzz »

Hi all,

While trying to flash the SokkOS 2.0 firmware into my Willzyx x0xb0x using BANNED v1.00 for Win, I get the following error after I select the .hex file:

Error: couldn't get DeviceID string.
Failed.

The USB is working, VCP driver is installed, and it's detecting the device through a new serial port, which BANNED is successfully connecting to. Does this mean there's a problem somewhere around the microcontroller? Where should I start looking?

Thanks!

antto

Re: BANNED Error: couldn't get DeviceID string

Post by antto »

you have to set the MODE selector to "BOOTLOAD" then restart (power off/on) the x0xb0x

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

Hi antto,

I've been trying with the x0x in BOOTLOADER mode all along. I've tried both setting it on BOOTLOADER, turning it off and on, as well as turning it off, setting to BL, and then on. Problem still persists.

antto

Post by antto »

if the x0xb0x does have a working firmware, and you can connect successifully to it (via Connect to x0xb0x) - then it looks like your x0x doesn't have a bootloader

where did you get your x0xb0x from?

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

I assembled the kit from Willzyx.

I`m not sure of the kit has a working firmware. I put it on keyboard mode and it is responsive (the keys light up as I would expect), yet I haven't been able to check sound yet.

antto

Post by antto »

if it's from willzyx it should have a bootloader
ugh.. is the x0x completely built?
try to connect to it with BANNED and see if that goes smoothly
that would confirm whether the serial port is working

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

The x0x is completely built.

When I use the "Connect to x0xb0x" option this is what happens:

Opening serial port \\.\COM3 @19200 ...
Success

Ping... BAD (Message at the bottom: "Unexpected: MSG_PING")

Firmware version... (Here it hangs indefinitely, so when I skip):
OSID = 0
??? unknown FW
v1.05

Detecting pattern size... (Here it also hangs, Message at bottom: "Unexpected: MSG_PATT_RD", after skip):
Failed

Get tempo... using default: 120
*Message at bottom: "Unexpected: MSG_TEMPO_GET")

Then it prompts me to the x0xb0x control menu, but nothing can be exported as it times out.

antto

Post by antto »

okay, that's weird

try to connect again, even if it hangs - skip till you reach the menu where you can see the tempo

then, rotate the TEMPO encoder on the x0xb0x (which will cause it to send messages to the serial port) and watch what BANNED will print on the status bar (there are 3 numbers there)

currently, it looks like there's something wrong with the connection
are you using a long usb cable?

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

Ok, so I got a new USB cable to try it out but nothing changed. Then I noticed that when I connected it to a different USB port, the serial COM port changed, so I changed from "\\.\COM3" which was set before (and is super weird) to "COM6", and it connected!!! This is what I was prompted:

However while flashing the firmware the following error came up:

And when I tried to flash the firmware again I got the following error:

I then turned the x0x off, closed BANNED and reopened it, turned the x0x back on, and basically the same sequence of events happened, with the *WTF_WTF* ERR happening at different completion percentages.

So it looks like it's connecting, the bootloader in the microcontroller is working, but for some reason it won't flash.

What should I check next?

Thanks for all your help, antto!

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

Ok, I managed to successfully flash the firmware, but I'm not sure what the problem was.

I first changed back to the USB port which used the COM4 serial port. Then in settings I selected the "\\.\COM4" port from the dropdown options, but that didn't work, so I wrote in "COM4" instead, and that did it! For some reason data transfer on "COM6" did not work.

Thanks for your help antto, hopefully this will help make BANNED even better :)

antto

Post by antto »

the Z command is a special command in the x0xb0x bootloader which enables the app to send 128 bytes at once (becuase normally it has to send bytes one by one)
this enables it to flash the whole firmware for 11 seconds (otherwise it's much slower)

c0ntr0l uses the Z command too

the problem here is not related to the Z command but (i'm almost certain) it's data going corrupt for some reason

sometimes when you send big amounts of data to/from the x0x (be it flashing firmware or EEPROM) - some packets get currupted (fail the CRC check)

so what happened in your case, to me it looks like that - data getting corrupt
see the weird char before the "*x0xb0x" string... this string is supposed to be "x0xb0x1"

one reason this could happen is if the baudrate is slightly lower or higher (you can set arbitrary baudrate on windows, like 19202) such that on long runs - some bits f*ck up or something, i'm no serial port expert but that's how see it

what i can do is.. in the next version, i can add a configurable amount of delay between sending each data block
so when you're having these issues - you would increase the amount of delay a bit and this might help

as for the com port name - what windows are you using? MSDN says that \\.\COMX should always work, so \\.\COM3 and COM3 should be equivalent

mavzz

Post by mavzz »

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. I imagine it might be the particular USB port which was corrupting some of the data transmitted. Thanks again for your help, annto, I really appreciate it!

antto

Post by antto »

is that 64 or 32bit?

anyway, there was another guy who had similar issues with the hex flash process, and i tried to see if it can be fixed more or less by adding some delay (small pauses) between each writing to the serial port
so i recompiled BANNED v1.00 with this, and it's uploaded temporarily

you can try if it improves anything: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 04#p202004
tell me if the progress counter reaches a higher percentage before it gives the error
or if it reaches 100% that would mean it has worked

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”