2SA733 "K"

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
moogah

2SA733 "K"

Post by moogah »

The datasheet lists K version as having a gain from 300-600. Perhaps these could make a substitute for the ap's ?

braw

Post by braw »

It looks like the CSA733k is the one you're referencing.

http://www.chipdocs.com/pndecoder/number/733.html

adafruit

Re: 2SA733 "K"

Post by adafruit »

moogah wrote:The datasheet lists K version as having a gain from 300-600. Perhaps these could make a substitute for the ap's ?
this is a pretty good idea. you should try ordering a few and see what its like!

zero01101

Post by zero01101 »

holy BANNED, 600??

i wonder what that would sound like...

let us know, yeah? :D

pempelson

Post by pempelson »

very good link / idea !

thanx a lot - this is definetly worth to try !!

greetings, guido

braw

Post by braw »

Here's a datasheet:

http://www.cpcares.com/pdf/2SA733K.PDF

It does look as though it's rated for 300-600 and the 2SA733p's are rated for 200-400. I just ordered some and am interested in the sound differences.

moogah

Post by moogah »

Excellent. Where did you order them from? I won't have the money to buy parts with for awhile so I'd like to hear some A/B 'ing between the two.

braw

Post by braw »

I got them here:

http://www.cpcares.com/BipolarTransistor/2SA733K.html

Hopefully they have a good deal of stock. If these work well, they're gonna be gone soon.

braw

Post by braw »

So here's the deal. I have the kit and haven't started assembling it yet. I have 100 2SA733p's from Mouser, and 25 2SA733k's in transit. What I would like to do is do a 3 way side by side with "standard" gain 733p's, high gain 733p's and high gain 733k's.

To do this I think I should socket the transistors. I'm wondering if there are sockets for this or if it's possible to "dremmel" a standard SIP socket for this. I really want to do the same pattern and similar filter sweeps to document the difference.

I think it will either be possible to create a 303 clone that surpasses the original in the areas that it excelled in, or a sick duck sounding monosynth that should be put to rest.

FF

Post by FF »

I used sip strip cut to length, maplin does it order code dc17t, trim it down and it fits perfectly. I socketed all my IC's and all the crucial transitors to facilitate easy modding/tweaks/repairs etc.

Re the "K" binned part I thought of this also but for accuracy you would want to go for the lower range beta (325-400) else it could affect the waveshape, I have not tried it yet as I have not found a source in the UK but when I do I'll post my findings here.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

braw wrote:I really want to do the same pattern and similar filter sweeps to document the difference.
thanks for bringing science into this. I look forward to hearing the results. Also, post your luck with the 733k's, how many you had to run through before you had a few around 340-400. Looks like they're a little pricey compared to the 733p's so I'd like to minimize my order.

braw

Post by braw »

Well what the BANNED?? I finally got my order for 2SA733k's and they are labeled 733y-105 on them and what looks like a white out mark on the back. The pin configuration seems different from the 733p's. Normally it's flat side down, left to right, E C B. These seem to only read with flat side up left to right as C B E, and the gains are all under 200.

I can't seem to find much info online as to what these are. Anyone??

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

your datasheet shows typical gain 200, max 600... if typical = average, then this just means the hFE is much less consistent then for the standard part, and an average must be a mean value for all parts, meaning hFE of <200 plenty of the time. It could just be that your sample batch is too small to find any high-gain standouts.

As for the different parts code/pinout... well that's another kettle of different-colored horses...

braw

Post by braw »

Agreed. I called the place and the guy straight up said to send them back. I asked if it was for refund or exchange, and he said refund. He said they just don't have the K's, only the Y's. I can only assume there was an attempt to hoodwink me. Both the purchase order and the bag showed K's.

Damn electronic hooligans. I did find another source that I can only hope will send me that part I actually ordered.

braw

Post by braw »

Just got a batch of genuine 733k's and tested them. Most were around 370-390 while about 15 or 20 were 400-440. None were less than 370.

Not sure what if anything this will do to the sound, but I'm excited to find out.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”