Simple overdrive/distortion circuit

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
evilxsystems

Simple overdrive/distortion circuit

Post by evilxsystems »

I want to add a simple controllable distortion to the output of the x0xb0x. Does anyone have a schematic for a simple but good sounding distortion circuit?

subatomic

Re: Simple overdrive/distortion circuit

Post by subatomic »

evilxsystems wrote:I want to add a simple controllable distortion to the output of the x0xb0x. Does anyone have a schematic for a simple but good sounding distortion circuit?
This makes me think of these questions:
- Traditionally what has 303's used for distortion?
- Was it common to mod them to have distortion? or keep it external?

I really should go read the devilfish stuff to see if there's any mention of distortion... I'm surprised there's not an overdrive mod on the mod's page. Maybe there's a reason for this?

uvacom

Post by uvacom »

Historically, a lot of people have either overdriven their mixer channel (usually a mackie or something) or used a pedal like a ProCo RAT or any of the boss pedals. I don't think typically any tube distortion would be used, or fuzz - just regular ol' solid state distortion.

I have actually gotten a really good digital-sounding distortion overdriving my 01x - this sounds like absolute BANNED on most things, but for some reason it actually slays with the 303 - I sold mine recently but if I ever get my x0xb0x running I'll post some examples. :)

moogah

Post by moogah »

the Rat or Boss pedals, as mentioned, are prolly the most common. Keep in mind that 'more' or heavier distortion won't neccessarily be good as it will tend to lessen the effect and character of the filter leaving you, essentially, with a square wave and high-pitched harmonic caused by the rez.

Jonnay

Post by Jonnay »

I built a little single transistor distorion curcuit. Pretty easy. The schematics are on my blog here:

http://blog.jonnay.net/archives/504-Tha ... Crew!.html

The devilfish has 2 different kinds of distortion, overdriving the input to the VCF, and what is called a 'muffler'. THe muffler according
to the devilfish site is a soft-clip distortion effect, with 2 settings, (including off).

Doing this soft clip distortion (or at least one similar way to do it) would be to put 2 diodes before the volume pot, one of them reverse biased, and set to ground. I'll post some schematics to the wiki.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

I like my Paia Tubehead for overdrive - can't beat valves :)

solid state overdrive sounds naff :?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”