On/Off Switch Mod

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ozx0xb0xer

Re: On/Off Switch Mod

Post by ozx0xb0xer »

I've searched the forums, but can't find any reference to a power switch with internal LED.
I've got these cool lookin' power switches handy, same size as the mod guide. These have an internal power on LED.
I've tested them with a 330ohm resistor off 5V and they work fine.
Question: If I install this switch and run power to the LED straight off the 7805, could it interfere with the sound/power distribution? I'd imagine not, but it's best to first ask those who'd know.

Of course you wont actually see the LED on the back of the x0x, however the answer might be handy for those making a 19" rack version with a visual power on LED.

Cheers.

eil

Post by eil »

ozx0xb0xer wrote:I've searched the forums, but can't find any reference to a power switch with internal LED.
I've got these cool lookin' power switches handy, same size as the mod guide. These have an internal power on LED.
Question: If I install this switch and run power to the LED straight off the 7805, could it interfere with the sound/power distribution? I'd imagine not, but it's best to first ask those who'd know.

Of course you wont actually see the LED on the back of the x0x, however the answer might be handy for those making a 19" rack version with a visual power on LED.

Cheers.
You might already know this, but just as a reminder: make sure you put a resistor in series with the LED.

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

eil wrote:
ozx0xb0xer wrote:I've searched the forums, but can't find any reference to a power switch with internal LED.

Cheers.
You might already know this, but just as a reminder: make sure you put a resistor in series with the LED.
forgetting to do this is pretty dramatic :lol:

mixhard

Post by mixhard »

here is a switch i used from mouser or digikey, im pretty sure i used the 12v off the powersupply with a resistor to turn on the LED.
Attachments
493rear.jpg
493rear.jpg (215.56 KiB) Viewed 2129 times

katarakt

Post by katarakt »

Can you remember the part nr. from mouser or digikey and where have you soldered the wires on the power supply? I think about buying this switch because it's nice to have a x0x with blue led's and power switch with a blue led :)

Edit: I give myself an answer :)

I've found and ordered 3 round power switches with red, green and blue LED now, the LED can be powered with 5,12 or 24 VDC with the correct resistor. The 5 and 12V points on the powersupply shouldn't be a big problem. I think i'll take the 5VDC power from the 7805 or the 12VDC power from the 3 power cable points under the 6562 ...someone knows what point is better?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”