The square wave and how Q8-10 + Q28 affects it

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sokkan

The square wave and how Q8-10 + Q28 affects it

Post by Sokkan »

So,

I have a freshly built self sourced x0xb0x here with the only modification being a power switch. Q8-10 and Q28 are all in sockets. I made some recordings of it with a sequence running up the octaves plus one just with an accented C. The different configurations I tested are:

High beta( ~340) Q8-10 and low beta(~260) Q8-10 in combination with Q28 being 2SK30A-O, -Y and -GR and a J201. That is 8 different combinations(high and low beta with every type of Q28). The results are quite revealing when listening to just the pumping C.

I could make this a blind listening test for you, or just reveal what file is what from the beginning. You may choose. Could someone please make the files available for download, I currently have no space to put it myself, each file will be 22 seconds to thats a total of 3 minutes thus approximately 30MB uncompressed. Or any pointers to where I could put it?

Oh, please suggest more patterns to try out!

phono

Post by phono »

i can host them, are you on aim at all?

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

phono: you have 2 PMs. I put it on megaupload at the moment, but it is much nicer if you could be kind to host it. It's a 18MB zip-file containing 8 wavs with names matching the content.

phono

Post by phono »

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb447909/phono ... 0xTest.zip

files uploaded, i hear a difference actually, to me it sounds like the pulse width is different, its more noticable with the GR, but theres a difference between them all, albeit subtle at times. The beta doesnt seem to make a lot of difference, i suppose its since you dont have a lot of res dialed up in these clips.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Yes, the differences are more than subtle if you ask me. You should put them all in your favorite DAW and switch between them. Oh, and you should loop the first and second parts separately.

My first reflection is that the -Y and -GR are very similar and the -O and J201 are quite similar, this is quite clear in the repeated C part. My second reflection is that I do not hear any difference switching between high and low betas... :shock:

phono

Post by phono »

Sokkan wrote:Yes, the differences are more than subtle if you ask me. You should put them all in your favorite DAW and switch between them. Oh, and you should loop the first and second parts separately.

My first reflection is that the -Y and -GR are very similar and the -O and J201 are quite similar, this is quite clear in the repeated C part. My second reflection is that I do not hear any difference switching between high and low betas... :shock:
try turning the reso up and swapping the high lows, i should take some recordings from my pwm mod v2 cos that sounds like all these at various levels

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

OK, I just send phono a new set of files. This time it is max resonance, min cutoff and a simple pattern with some accents to get the proper "boww" effect.

My conclusion from the new test is that high/low beta will make a difference, you want any of the combination of "high beta + -O", "high beta + J201" or "any beta + J201" if you ask me. Using a -Y or -GR just doesn't sound right.

phono

Post by phono »

Sokkan wrote: Using a -Y or -GR just doesn't sound right.
ive always said this, thanks for vindicating me :D

new test files are here

http://www.bahnhof.se/wb447909/phono/x0 ... xTest2.zip

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Any comments? How about guest? This is a contradiction to what is currently commonly believed. Someone please protest... :wink:

One perhaps possible source of error is the beta measurement I performed. I used that built into one of my multimeters. The absolute values may be wrong, but they should still be correct relative to each other. I may build a test rigg for this if anyone is in doubt.

If anyone has a favorite pattern and settings that instantly reveals a bad square wave please give it to me and I will produce a set of sound files with it with all of the combinations.

GoldDope

Re: The square wave and how Q8-10 + Q28 affects it

Post by GoldDope »

Sokkan wrote:Could someone please make the files available for download,
im amazed that after i emailed you,offering you completely free hosting,plus free FTP and actualy under the domain of x0xb0x.co.uk you still have the need to ask people here for storage space.
i give up. :wink:
Last edited by GoldDope on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

GoldDope: PM

GoldDope

Post by GoldDope »

Sokkan wrote:GoldDope: PM
thanks mate,sorting this 4 u now ;)

Post by guest »

my ears aint the greatest
but i couldnt hear much difference
i felt the most difference was between the high and low betas

the best way to analyze it would be with no resonance
and the cutoff full up
that way as much of the frequency spectrum gets through

im glad you tested a j201
ive always been curious how much difference that made
my first clone used a j201 and it sounded awful
but there were a million other mistakes
so its hard to say where the problems came from

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

guest wrote: the best way to analyze it would be with no resonance
and the cutoff full up
that way as much of the frequency spectrum gets through
Yes, that is indeed the purpose of the first set of tests I performed, have a listen, they are here:

http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb447909/phono ... 0xTest.zip

No resonance, max cutoff, no env mod or decay.

The second tests I did was with full resonance because phono asked for them:

http://www.bahnhof.se/wb447909/phono/x0 ... xTest2.zip

Tonight I am going to splice together some files in which I switch randomly between different configurations, then it will be obvious I hope. :)

buddax

Re: The square wave and how Q8-10 + Q28 affects it

Post by buddax »

The J201 actually have a nice hollow-ish sound to it, imo =)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”