Getting into CVS

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
no-fi

Getting into CVS

Post by no-fi »

Right.

I just wasted a couple of hours trying to get tortoiseCVS setup on my computer and hooked into the x0xb0x project.

I've tried reading things, really. I'm even USING tortoise CVS because its what sourceforge seems to point at as being good to use.

but all I 've managed to do is waste an afternoon that I wanted to spend looking through x0xb0x firmware code.

I'm an electronic design engineer that just happens to already develop code using AVR-GCC for AVR projects, so if I could get involved here I might actually have something to contribute.

so, please. someone just tell me WHAT to enter into tortoiseCVS for an initial checkout, before I give up on the whole co-operative firmware development thing. It can't be this hard to just get a working link into a CVS repository. if it is, I don't want anything more to do with it.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

On the CVS page on the sf.net project page, there's a CVS link, it will tell you the CVS commands to use to get the project anonymously. This is intended for the command line version of CVS, so you'll need to translate the paths for tortoise (or get the command line version). Make sure you're using the anonymous address, not the developer one. There are two command lines because one is the login line, tortoise probably does that one foryou, so focus on the second line:

Code: Select all

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/someproject co -P modulename
specifically:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/x0xb0x co -P firmware
And in tortoise, I would try something like one of the following: (not tested, so I'm not sure, if there's a separate blank for "modulename" it wont be #3):

:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/x0xb0x
[email protected]:/cvsroot/x0xb0x
[email protected]:/cvsroot/x0xb0x/firmware
Last I checked I had to set up SSH access in tortoise, but they may include SSH now. Anyway, double check that the settings look rght for SSH in the tortoise settings dialogs, SSH is the protocol tortoise uses to get files from sf.net (CVS over SSH)... I think my tortoiseSVN uses plink, so it may be similar for tortoiseCVS.... not sure.

I would prefer to make tortoise work if I were you, but if you want to try the command line CVS, you can get this by installing cygwin for example, or using linux/unix, etc..., then you'll be working in the same tool as the above mentioned examples (on the CVS page under x0xb0x project). Even so, you'll need to set up SSH for this tool as well. I think it's just an environment variable, like set CVS_RSH=SSH or something (google it)...

Here's a google for "tortoiseCVS and SSH"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=to ... gle+Search

Here's the command line CVS env vars:
http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.12. ... tml#SEC208

And a note on connecting with command line CVS using rsh (SSH is the same, just subst ssh for rsh):
http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.12. ... html#SEC29

If this still doesn't work, or if you feel like skipping it all, you can always browse the repository using the CVS link in sf.net and download the files one by one...

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

yeah, I don't know CVS from Walgreens, but I was looking at source files within about 5 minutes by just following links from the x0x root page on Sourceforge. Maybe you should do it the stoopid way first and then get up to speed on CVS if you make any modifications...

no-fi

Post by no-fi »

thanks for the tips. I have to go out now, but will try the settings late tonight or tomorrow.

yeah I know I can just grab all 26 files off the web. But I thought installing CVS would be simpler and better in the long run. It just frustrated the hell out of me (though maybe my fuse was a little short after spending about 2 hours getting the FTDI chip USB driver setup on my win2000 machine... and another problem I had with a firefox extension killing firefox earlier in the day.. it's just been computer hell for me this week!) that I couldn't just install the program, chuck in a few simple settings, and have it work for a basic anonymous checkout. I wasn't asking it to do that much.

and I *will* be modifying the firmware, and would be very happy to share my mods when I do them.... so it's a matter of *when* I have to learn how to use this CVS system, not if.

heh. I guess if worse comes to worst I can just post a zipfile up on my website and let some other poor sucker deal with CVS and its ridiculousness.

Jonnay

Post by Jonnay »

Come hang out in teh #x0xb0x channel on freenode the next time you wanna tackle TortoiseCVS, I can probably give you a hand.

zero01101

Post by zero01101 »

controlvoltage wrote:yeah, I don't know CVS from Walgreens
:lol:

chairman meow

Post by chairman meow »

You must use pserver for anonymous CVS access, not SSH.

You may find the relevant page on the wiki handy.

http://wiki.jonnay.net/x0x/firmwaredevelopment

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”