It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mux

Post by mux »

gzifcak wrote:c'mon drew!
the 707 only has 5 swing values (it's been too long for you!), based on the 24 ppq midi clock resolution. to get 16 levels of swing you would need at least 64 ppq.
I was kinda hoping there could be 16 levels of swing... that'd make it really easy to implement the interface, maybe just like hold down a button and have one of the 16 steps show which of the 16 levels of swing is in use... just like the TR-707.
Hah! You're totally right, and I did know that - actually, remind me to take some pics of the new "drum loop generator" setup in the closet: Korg ER-1 triggering the SDS-800 and SDS-9, TR-707 triggering the Tama TS-305, all analogue drum outputs going over several HOSA snakes to the Mackie CR-1604 (all 16 channels used), then an Ensoniq DP/4 setup on four of the aux sends... it sounds wicked, I made over 40 new drum loops on Sunday. :D

Tho you're right, I didn't use the swing function - for one, the loops are going into Live, where it's simple to swing audio loops, but not so simple to UN-swing audio loops. And for two, none of my BANNED is swung atm, 'cause my x0xb0x doesn't (yet) swing, so it sounds out of time. :)

Anyway - I did err above, I meant 8 steps not sixteen, the x0x only has 8 step buttons. The TR-707 only has five (tho I thought it was six?) levels of swing, but the way they're indicated, by holding down the button and seeing one of the steps light up, is what I was talking about. :)
've heard multiple complaints about the timing of modern computers. why don't more people slave their DAWs to hardware?
Y'know, I was trying to use Ableton as the core of my rig, but as of last night I've switched back to the MPC1000 as the master clock and main source of drum samples. Live is staying in the rig, but as a replacement for my mixer, and as a good looping sampler, instead of as the main guts. The MPC is an excellent master clock, MIDI sequencer and drum machine, but it doesn't do so good on loops IMHO.

Funny thing, I've had tonnes of problems with the x0xb0x clocking to Live as the master clock, but none whatsoever with the MPC as the clock. HOWEVER, if I use a MIDI splitter before the x0x, the x0x tempo tends to lock to the tempo but several ms too late (like a quarter-beat off or something). Weird stuff.

mux

Post by mux »

mux wrote:Hah! You're totally right, and I did know that - actually, remind me to take some pics of the new "drum loop generator" setup in the closet: Korg ER-1 triggering the SDS-800 and SDS-9, TR-707 triggering the Tama TS-305, all analogue drum outputs going over several HOSA snakes to the Mackie CR-1604 (all 16 channels used), then an Ensoniq DP/4 setup on four of the aux sends... it sounds wicked, I made over 40 new drum loops on Sunday. :D
Here's those pics, btw:
http://mux.ca/images/drumcloset.jpg
http://mux.ca/images/drumcloset-closer.jpg

cchocjr

Post by cchocjr »

This is an awesome modification, evilx! I'd love for this to be incorporated into the micro.

Here's one vote!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”