MidiSense and potentiometers

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jaywar

MidiSense and potentiometers

Post by jaywar »

Just curious on what the hack is (and how you would use it "non linear") for using a potentiometer with the resistive Midisense board. Thanks!

Vanceg

Yes yes

Post by Vanceg »

There are at least two of us interested in the mods that may be needed for using a linear pot. If it's just a matter of Log vs. Lin, couldn't I simply remap the incoming MIDI data?
Hmmm.

And/or: any timeline on your Linear A/D board?

I just want to build a few simple "touch strip" controllers and hook up a few volume pedals as MIDI controllers. EZ EZ!

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

or for that matter, couldn't you just use log pots?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sorry ive been not good at reading the board.

you can use log pots or just dont solder in the op-amps and then connect the wiper ("middle pin") to the outputs of where the opamps -would- be
and hook up the top pins to +5V and the bottom pin to ground (see the schematic for where you can 'grab' 5V and ground from)

Post by Guest »

ladyada wrote:sorry ive been not good at reading the board.

you can use log pots or just dont solder in the op-amps and then connect the wiper ("middle pin") to the outputs of where the opamps -would- be
and hook up the top pins to +5V and the bottom pin to ground (see the schematic for where you can 'grab' 5V and ground from)
Easy-easy. No problem. Thanks.
I haven't seen the schematic yet (have not ordered the unit yet - just planning) and I am happy that there is a place I can grab 5v from. I thought I'd need to provide my own power supply.

Basically, I am just turning standard, passive volume pedals into MIDI controllers.... Might hook up a couple mini-joysticks, too. Maybe a touch strip. Oh yeah, I should get some photo cells also.... maybe I need to buy two of these units ;-)

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

sorry...but can linear pots be used straight out of the box with no mods? I'm confused...what do you have to do to use a rotating pot with this thing?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you can, but they will not turn out linear in the midi outputs (they will turn out logarithmic)

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

but a log pot will work fine?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yup, will work just fine, just connect the wiper and one end. if you connect it wrong it will be pretty clear: just swap ends.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”