what current sensors work with the available midisense kit?

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nym

what current sensors work with the available midisense kit?

Post by nym »

hey, i'm very intrigued and excited by this DIY project, but a little confused.

throughout the site and forum, i read that certain sensors currently are not supported. however, i am still unsure about what works and what doesn't.

can someone describe what sensors the current midibox kit supports?
thank you for your time.

nym

nym

Post by nym »

the more i think about the midisense and the next chapter of the project, the more excited i get.

i use an mpc1000, which soon gets a new feature coded into it by its programmer. this new operating system will allow midi ccs coming from an external source to control the sampler's filters, resonance, levels, panning, sample start/end, decay, attack, and other internal functions.

this feature is quietly spectacular. it's great on its own, but throw midisense into the picture and you've got something REALLY cool.

the mpc1000 is very portable. a small laptop bag does the trick. i'd like to go midi-modular, here - i want to build a midisense that takes advantage of this new code. an mpc companion, super portable and with control surfaces appropriate to the different qualities they will be editing.

the control surfaces i hope to use are the following:

2 inastomeric resistive pressure sensors. actuation is caused by carbon-impregnated rubber which grows less resistive under pressure. awesome little things. i'd put 2 of these in there, one for filter and the other for resonance.

3 nice quality sliders.
1 sharp infrared distance sensor (i don't think these are currently supported)

i also am curious about function buttons - is it currently supported to put in tact switches/use resistive sensors to trigger functions like play, stop, and record?

nym

Post by nym »

unless i am vastly mistaken, currently the only sensors/controllers which work with the midisense that is for sale are the pressure sensors and environment sensors.

slide pots, ribbon sensors, infrared sensors, switches, are still waiting to be implemented in the analog/digital midisense board.

i anxiously await the analog/digital midisense board.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yup! when i first came out with the board it was designed to support the sensors that most midi interfaces -dont- do very well.
i am working on the next version (which does support the remaining sensors)
but it isnt released. in fact im still working on fixing some of the bugs in the current version (oops)
however if you watch this forum or the blog you will see it when it gets released!

nym

Post by nym »

i know the unpredictable nature of timelines, but do you have some sort of projection as to when the next midisense will be available for beta testing?

resonator

Post by resonator »

it's the mpc invasion! :shock: ;)

nym, it's rich.
just wanted to jack the thread, since we've been talking about this project (though i gotta build my x0x beforehand)...
plus i wanted to point out, there's quite a few familiar mpc heads in the x0x forums (and more on the way). so get your ass on that waiting list! :)

limor- glad to know you're planning another version of the midisense. i'm looking forward to it. keep up the good work! :)

nym

Post by nym »

rich the resonator everybody (the empty room applauds)

i may do this. i've got money i haven't even earned yet already put into the upcoming budget however.

i wonder how well the xox would complement my style of tune. i haven't heard enough examples of it to really know.

resonator

Post by resonator »

nym, theres some music posted in the x0x forums, and limor is also setting up a website to host all the x0x users' mp3's.

anyway, it's time for me to get started on this project. wish me luck.

[/end threadjack] :wink:

RundFyrkant

Post by RundFyrkant »

resonator wrote:it's the mpc invasion! :shock: ;)
you bet ya :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”