Nintendo Powerglove

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thecrowing15

Nintendo Powerglove

Post by thecrowing15 »

Inspired by another user on this board who put midiSense into an NES controller, I want to wire a powerglove with midiSense for use in live performances in my noise band. I know, it's a great idea. I have big plans, but I'm not sure how many of them will be plausible.
I first of all want a photocell, and plan on putting it somewhere in the palm of the glove, so I can open my fist and make noises happen. I'm pretty confident this is supported and will work.
I also want force sensors, particularly like bend sensors, which are already in the glove. If I can't make those work I'll just get new ones and put them in the same place but in my very limited knowledge of this stuff, it makes sense that it would work.
The last thing, and probably the hardest is to use the buttons/keys on the forearm portion of the glvoe as a keyboard. Since I want to use the kit, and the resistive sensor is the only one availible, I thought I could use some of those force sensitive resistors, the smaller ones, and plant them behind the keys (or make new keys) to trigger each note.
I just wanted to throw this out there for inspiration and mainly because I want to know if I can pull it off. Any help I can get would be awesome.

skelo

Post by skelo »

My NES pad control with the midisense board :

and video :

http://askelo.free.fr/myspace_hot/control.wmv

rock rock rock

adafruit

Re: Nintendo Powerglove

Post by adafruit »

thecrowing15 wrote: I first of all want a photocell, and plan on putting it somewhere in the palm of the glove, so I can open my fist and make noises happen. I'm pretty confident this is supported and will work.
I also want force sensors, particularly like bend sensors, which are already in the glove. If I can't make those work I'll just get new ones and put them in the same place but in my very limited knowledge of this stuff, it makes sense that it would work.
The last thing, and probably the hardest is to use the buttons/keys on the forearm portion of the glvoe as a keyboard. Since I want to use the kit, and the resistive sensor is the only one availible, I thought I could use some of those force sensitive resistors, the smaller ones, and plant them behind the keys (or make new keys) to trigger each note.
the bend sensor + photo cell setup is going to be very easy- the powerglove has 4 bend sensors in it already (which are detailed on the midisense page) and the kit comes with a photo cell!

foobert

Post by foobert »

seems like the state of the cds cell could be inferred from the states of the bend sensors, i.e. all fingers at minimum resistance implies fist open. saves you an input for something else. requires some programming.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”