midisense ADi/o - available now.

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nym

midisense ADi/o - available now.

Post by nym »

midisense ADi/O kit: 11 i/o pins. up to 6 analog inputs (also can act as digital inputs/outputs) and 5 digital i/o. Can be used with distance sensors, potentiometers, buttons/switches, etc. has special code that can correctly drive ribbons (as analog inputs), and up to 2 'hobby' servos
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=78

i am very happy to have been told that Midisense ADi/O is now available for purchase. however, it seems i've caught it early in its documentation. please help me understand the possibilities behind each of the following. correct me if i'm incorrect, as well.

6 analog inputs: for items such as the GPD120. question: will the resistive pressure sensors used in the previous build work for this?

5 digital i/os: does this mean the capacity for tact switches controlling MMC parameters (seek) and other midi protocol (start, stop, record)? if no, what does this mean?

2 'hobby' servos: i've googled these to discover that they are motorous devices. what are some implementations of this? motorized faders?

last question: currently, only the 50 dollar kit is available from the store. there is not yet a "how to" assemble online. in the future, will there be a similar "how to" page? also, in the future, will Midisense ADi/o's PCB be sold separately?

thanks so much
nym

adafruit

Re: midisense ADi/o - available now.

Post by adafruit »

nym wrote:
6 analog inputs: for items such as the GPD120. question: will the resistive pressure sensors used in the previous build work for this?
do you have a link to the sensor you are referring to?
5 digital i/os: does this mean the capacity for tact switches controlling MMC parameters (seek) and other midi protocol (start, stop, record)? if no, what does this mean?
yes, a switch can be tied to MIDI START/STOP or START/CONTINUE. Seek im not sure about, which midi signal is this?
2 'hobby' servos: i've googled these to discover that they are motorous devices. what are some implementations of this? motorized faders?
google for 'hobby servo' to see some of the $15 motors that they can drive. ill put up more info later, but they can basically rotate on command.
last question: currently, only the 50 dollar kit is available from the store. there is not yet a "how to" assemble online. in the future, will there be a similar "how to" page? also, in the future, will Midisense ADi/o's PCB be sold separately?
ya ill sell PCBs separately but right now just a kit (until i finish the docs) its actually very much like the other midisense board. ill put up the photos i took later this week. yeek :)

nym

Post by nym »

pressure sensors - just general resistive pressure sensors based on Inastomer, which is rubber impregnated with carbon particles.

http://www.cui.com/adtemplate.asp?invky ... subcatky3=
^ the "SR" variety. there are several different types.
i just posed the question in mpc-forums. it basically just allows you to jump ahead or previous a little in the sequencer, like by 1 bar. basically, if i'm not mistaken, it should just be an MMC signal but i don't know much about this. i could probably pick it out of a lineup.

thanks for all the information. i'm going to order a kit either today or tomorrow. i am so happy about this, what amazing timing.
yeek Smile
sorry to yak so much and hit you with a barrage of questions but i feel like i'm on the cusp of something amazing with Midisense. I'm going to be applying to grad schools in the next year and i'm aiming at Mills University in Oakland California. they have a fantastic electronic music program, both in composition and also in electronic musical instrument building. with a base architecture like midisense, i could do sooo much ahead of time to wow them into accepting me without 2nd thought.

controlling multiple midi ccs exclusively with a single IR sensor is going to be amazing. i want to use the same IR sensor for all 6 inputs, which of course means it's going to have to be switchable. i'll just have to find/salvage a switch that i like that will work.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

can the digital IOs be used with an encoder knob?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

not yet... encoders are notoriously difficult to get working. its on my list of things to add :(

nym

Post by nym »

will that be a software or hardware addition?

this is unrelated to the rotary encoder, but my latest idea has been to instead of use a knob or dial to switch the IR from 1 input to another, i'll use 6 telephone jacks and have it be like a patchbay.

nym

Post by nym »

Ada, you asked about "Seek:"
here is what Borg has to say regarding the closest translation of what i called "Seek"

http://www.borg.com/%7Ejglatt/tech/midispec.htm
Song Position Pointer

Category: System Common

Purpose

Some master device that controls sequence playback sends this message to force a slave device to cue the playback to a certain point in the song/sequence. In other words, this message sets the device's "Song Position". This message doesn't actually start the playback. It just sets up the device to be "ready to play" at a particular point in the song.

Status

0xF2

Data

Two data bytes follow the status. Just like with the Pitch Wheel, these two bytes are combined into a 14-bit value. (See Pitch Wheel). This 14-bit value is the MIDI Beat upon which to start the song. Songs are always assumed to start on a MIDI Beat of 0. Each MIDI Beat spans 6 MIDI Clocks. In other words, each MIDI Beat is a 16th note (since there are 24 MIDI Clocks in a quarter note).

Errata

Example: If a Song Position value of 8 is received, then a sequencer (or drum box) should cue playback to the third quarter note of the song. (8 MIDI beats * 6 MIDI clocks per MIDI beat = 48 MIDI Clocks. Since there are 24 MIDI Clocks in a quarter note, the first quarter occurs on a time of 0 MIDI Clocks, the second quarter note occurs upon the 24th MIDI Clock, and the third quarter note occurs on the 48th MIDI Clock).

Often, the slave device has its playback tempo synced to the master via MIDI Clock. See Syncing Sequence Playback.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

nym wrote:pressure sensors - just general resistive pressure sensors based on Inastomer, which is rubber impregnated with carbon particles.

http://www.cui.com/adtemplate.asp?invky ... subcatky3=
^ the "SR" variety. there are several different types.
huh do you know where i could buy one of these?

nym

Post by nym »

they're 5 dollars apiece from CUI.

here's James' number. i briefly ran a childish attempt at a business performing a much needed service for MPC1000 repairs (company manufacturing flaw resulted in many, many broken pressure sensors of a different variety. i replaced them with the SR sensors).

James will be happy to send you a sample, and he's pretty much the dude in general. always treated me real well. if you call him, please tell him that Allen Scaife sends his best wishes.

PRESSURE SENSOR SALES
JAMES SEILER
Phone: 866-318-5499
Fax: 260-426-1065

20050 SW 112th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062.

in the proper context, these the pressure sensors are great. the issue is mounting them. i had good experience mounting them using generic silicon glue on a solid, durable surface. to trigger them, i cast form fitting rubber pads that fit overtop.

the end result in my previous venture was decent, but not ideal.
the sensor, however, is fantastic and durable, surviving more than 9 million actuations with virtually no degradation. they originate from Inaba rubber, and the carbon impregnated rubber inside is called Inastomer.

in a MIDI sense application, however, where you don't have the confines of another company's box to work in, the SR-D15-S sensors and their relatives are a viable alternative to the nearly 3x as expensive FSR.

adafruit

Re: midisense ADi/o - available now.

Post by adafruit »

ladyada wrote:
nym wrote: last question: currently, only the 50 dollar kit is available from the store. there is not yet a "how to" assemble online. in the future, will there be a similar "how to" page? also, in the future, will Midisense ADi/o's PCB be sold separately?
ya ill sell PCBs separately but right now just a kit (until i finish the docs) its actually very much like the other midisense board. ill put up the photos i took later this week. yeek :)
ive put up the assembly instructions for the ADio board. the user manual should be at least somewhat done today/tomorrow. i have to make a few minor tweaks to the software and that will be uploaded. there was a nasty bug in the midi library for macosx :(

skelo

Post by skelo »

REVOLUTION

nym

Post by nym »

nice directions. much clearer/bigger pictures than the first set. i can really see which resistor goes where this time!
The microcontroller is socketed because theres a chance that it may need to be replaced or upgraded, so its better to not solder it directly to the PCB.
in the event of this, will you post us the upgrade?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

itll be posted in this forum, definitely. i cant personally email you tho :)

soapdodger

Post by soapdodger »

YAY!

ordered one of these today!

THW_Mark

Post by THW_Mark »

got my package today (very fast service to the netherlands i must say, monday accepted and on friday here!)

there's a small error on the label i would like you to be aware of, the url for the manual on the package says http://www.adafruit.com/midisense/ but this gives a 404. Of course i know where to find the instructions, but i just wanted to let you know :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”