where? a firm confusion

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jim

where? a firm confusion

Post by jim »

i am confused.

"All the message types except for MIDI Start/Stop/Continue have an address associated with them (not to be confused with the address of the board, which is set with the switches.) In v1.1 of the firmware, the address was the same as the sensor number. In v1.2 you can set the address in the Settings dialog....

You can download the binary files from sourceforge. The latest binary releases are:

* 1.3a for Windows (supports up to v1.3 firmware)
* 1.1 for Windows and Mac ( supports up to v1.2 firmware)
* 1.0c for Windows and MacOS X supports only up to v1.1 firmware)"

i am using mac os 10.4.11 with the ADio board and have found that the 1.1 download, works only when i changed the switches from the setting of #16 as it was when i got it, but no option to set the address in the Settings dialog, yet MIDIMonitor sees four channels for my four sensors.

i see the firmware folder from the 1.1 download also contains midisense-res12.hex in addition to midisense-res11-full.hex which was the only file in the 1.0c download's firmware folder.

the midisense app from the 1.1 download that works best, calls itself Analog/Digital I/O board v1.3, but the midisense app from the 1.0c download that does not work much at all, calls itself Analog/Digital I/O board v1.30, and both of these apps claim to be version 2.6.3.

i don't want to mess with the firmware till i know more about what i'm doing.

"Next is the MIDI address selector (4-dip switch) SW1 and the 16MHz ceramic resonator XTL1

The DIP switch lets you set the inherent address of the MIDIsense (which, admittedly, isn't used as much now that it is software-selectable). The ceramic resonator is like a watch crystal, and allows the microcontroller to keep precise timing so that it can generate and read MIDI signals without error. "

i wondered if the ceramic resonator needs to be connected in a particular orientation.

"Next its time to place the MIDI-activity dual LED. This LED is lit up by the microcontroller when it receives or transmits MIDI data. Its very useful for debugging! The LED actually has 2 LEDs in it, one red and one green. The green one is lit when data is sent and red is lit when data is received."

i have yet to see the light turn red.

MIDIMonitor tells me everything i want to know except which continuous controller number is associated with each of my working sensor/midi channels when configured as CC Slider 1 thru 4.

my sound software Kyma, has a midimonitor that tells me the cc# but it only shows one of my sensors, even thou by chance another of them are controlling my sounds just fine.

do i appear to need a firmware update?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”