ADio's digital I/O button awareness

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jim

ADio's digital I/O button awareness

Post by jim »

i have built a 4 pot, 4 button project box with room for two IR sensors.
the analog I/O side of the software calibrates the pots and IR sensors just fine, but the digital I/O side of the software does not notice the buttons yet either as analog in or digital in inputs, i have not tried ribbon in.

my multimeter shows the buttons pass current when pressed but the settings option for the digital I/O side of the software does not open nor notice yet any pressed button.

any clues as to what it takes to get the midisense ADio board's digital I/O to notice buttons?

nym

Post by nym »

i have not tried this yet but i hope to have an answer for you tomorrow (saturday)

jim

Post by jim »

the digital I/O side of the software does not notice the buttons yet either as analog in or digital in inputs, i have not tried ribbon in.

oh well, digital I/O "ribbon in" works for my buttons just fine.

i wish i had just tried ribbon in last sunday instead of failing to upload any firmware. On the bright side, by breaking my chip, i ended up buying a ADio board number two, (arrived yesterday), plus a replacement chip with the expectation that now i will have 12 analog plus 10 digital sensors to play with.

i guess this will work only if the midisense passes midi info from the in to the out jack. Not all midi stuff does that and i did not do this bit of research on the midisense yet.

i almost enjoy building these kits, including my mistakes, more than making music.

now it's down to the wire with the JimboTron making it's first voyage into the public ear in about six hours.

yippie!

jim

Post by jim »

oops, now all my digital I/O buttons configured as "ribbon in" are changing the analog I/O pot #1's, (ch1) reading from 0 to 127 in addition to the pot sweeping nicely. The board's midi dip switch is set to ch1.

next i will move all the pots over one space to get them on to channel 2 to 5, instead of 1 to 4.

lunch first

nym

Post by nym »

i guess this will work only if the midisense passes midi info from the in to the out jack. Not all midi stuff does that and i did not do this bit of research on the midisense yet.
ada mentioned waaay back in the day that "midi thru" as it's called would be eventual. i haven't tried so i don't know if the current build can do it. it'd be very handy though!

last night i hooked up a tact switch to midisense for the first time and it seemed to work as expected but i must have set something incorrect. i tried setting it to NOTE OFF 127 but i think i accidentally set it to NOTE ON 0 instead somehow. i will have to reassign it today to further see what's up.

2 IR's, huh? which ones, the GPD120s or GPD12s? i initially got 2 120's but i decided i'd rather play with a longer range. the difference is great, the 12's have a much longer range in which you can set your calibration markers. very nice stuff.

my project in progress is a 3 rotary pot, 2 linear pot, 3 button unit who is housed in a hollowed book. you open the book as you would normally and see your controls. there is a phone jack, which you will use a spiralled phone cord to connect to a deck of cards, also hollowed out. this deck of cards stands vertically. at the bottom is the infrared sensor. the cards negate the "Dead zone" of the IR sensor.

jim

Post by jim »

since buying the GP2D12s, (shorter range than the GP2D120s i think), i got the idea that longer range sensors would allow me to point them at dancers to get some unpredictable yet wrythmic control.

i found that my buttons sometimes caused a minute pop or crack when used to trigger samples.

nym, are you using a mac to connect to the midisense?

nym

Post by nym »

nah, the 12's are LONGER range than the 120s, which are shorter. it sounds backwards but trussit, i've been studying up on these sharp IR's for a while

i'm using PC to connect to midisense.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”