more meaningful logic?

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jim

more meaningful logic?

Post by jim »

i used my midisense live a week ago last night with great success despite the possibility of an even more meaningful logic level from my IR distance sensors if i use a pull up resistor!

the great 20 page booklet from Acroname that came with my IR sensor said "... a pull up resistor is required to get a meaningful logic level." and i did not believe it. Someone used a chalk board to illustrate and explain this pull up resistor in this open collector at the Hacktory and i did not believe it.

but now i am going to roll the drum across the room and add a pull up resistor, cause i can't imagine my logic level getting any more meaningful.
and i'm feeling lucky.

jim

Post by jim »

well, the pull up resistor took all the meaning out of my logic level so i had to take them back out.

i was having some minor problems with a "motor boating" signal at the infinity end of the IR sensor detection range. It made me have to calibrate 1/4 of the IR dynamic range out, to get a steady infinity reading from the IR sensor, instead of a random warbling when nothing was within the detection range.

i had hoped that the warbling was a result of not following the instructions of using a pull up resistor. I hoped i had installed the pull up resistor wrong after they took all the meaning out of my signal. but no.

i am sure i am doing at least something wrong since i don't understand the motor boating. I can work around it but my lack of understanding is irritating and makes me willing to expose my ignorance to untold numbers of strangers in the hopes of clues and or inspiration.

live home made music on home made instruments made possible by great kits made by great kitmakers, make life better,
thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”