iPhone 3GS - "Charging is not supported with this accessory."
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

iPhone 3GS - "Charging is not supported with this accessory."

by greenleaf on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Just put together my MintyBoost kit but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with either mine or my wife's iPhone 3GS. The "Charging is not supported with this accessory" window pops up when I plug it in.

Multimeter shows 4.98V and 1.95V when I test the USB pins. Any ideas where things went wrong? I checked the soldering and everything looks ok...
greenleaf

Re: iPhone 3GS - "Charging is not supported with this accessory."

by scott-42 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 am

I don't know what the problem is but I'm curious what version of iOS are you running on the two phones?
I have two 3GS phones in front of me and it works on both and they have iOS 3.1.3 and 4.3.3.

Are you using an official Apple cable or a third party?

Also, can you post pictures of both the front and back of your minty boost?
scott-42

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:57 am

The voltages at the USB connector sound right. Try another USB cable. Some have too much internal resistance which results in a lower voltage at the phone.
adafruit_support_bill

by greenleaf on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:18 am

I'm running jailbroken 4.2.1 firmware, and tried two official apple-brand charging cables. I also tried freshly charged eneloop batteries, and brand new Duracells. I'll try to snap some photos of the PCB later today or tomorrow.
greenleaf

by greenleaf on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 am

Ok, so this is weird, on a whim I just plugged it in again this morning and didn't get the popup warning. The only difference is that the phone is completely topped off from the wall charger this time. The missus' phone, however, is only about halfway charged and still shows the error message.

I'll try it a few more times during the day to see if the message comes back as the phone discharges...
greenleaf

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 am

When you see the error again, measure the output and data pin voltages again while the phone is still connected.
adafruit_support_bill

by greenleaf on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Just a quick update to wrap this up:

Tested charger on co-worker's 1st-gen iphone: works fine.
Tried another co-worker's iphone 4: works fine.
My iPhone 3GS: very hit-or-miss. I noticed that plugging and unplugging 4-5 times in a row seems to work sometimes. Right now it's charging and went from 85% to 88% capacity in the past few minutes.

Another data point: Once in a while my 3GS complains about "unsupported accessory" even with other chargers and devices. So I think it's fair to conclude that the problem could be the less-than-excellent build quality of the 3GS model iPhone.
greenleaf

by adafruit on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:44 pm

greenleaf wrote:Another data point: Once in a while my 3GS complains about "unsupported accessory" even with other chargers and devices. So I think it's fair to conclude that the problem could be the less-than-excellent build quality of the 3GS model iPhone.

yes! the 3gs in our experience (using dozens of them for testing) was/is the buggiest iphone, all chargers have issues with this phone. so much so, we added a special note to the page.

"New version! Works with the new iPhone 4 and more! Please review the Minty Boost project page(s) before purchase and assembly!, some phones require different modifications to the kit to charge properly! Some phones such as the *iPhone 3gs are very sensitive to charging via USB and may not work in all environments or configurations. "

luckily, with the mintyboost you have a chance to specific hack/mod the resistor values to try to "tune" it to your phone, not always possible, but with a kit you have a chance :)

cheers,
adafruit
adafruit

by greenleaf on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks again, the forum replies and support have been excellent. I'll probably give this one away to someone with an iPhone 4, or just keep it until I upgrade. Not so keen on tearing it apart once it's already been built. Keep up the good work.
greenleaf

by jvschwarz on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:55 pm

First, Adafruit rocks!
Second, I'm sorry to report that I'm another unlucky 3GS "Charging is not supported with this accessory" victim. I read and understood your cautionary notes before I purchased and enjoyed the assembly task, so I'm still happy. I do have a few results to share with the cause. First, there are 3 - 3GS' and 1 - 2G Iphones in the family. The v3 Minty works great on the 2G but not on 2 of the 3GS'. I haven't tried it on my sons 3GS yet, but being the newest I'm suspecting it won't. My wife's is the oldest version of the 3GS' and with fresh Alkaline batteries it'll connect ~ok, readings of 4.69v and jumper'd D-/+ at 1.72 under load. When I checked the open circuit 4.95v and D-/+ 1/97 and plugged it back in , it wouldn't charge again. At least on my wife's phone it appears to be a battery issue. Haven't played with the resistors yet but look forward to more input. Since you've a couple Li-poly batteries listed, would it be possible to put another AA in series to up the combined voltage to 3.6v with rechargables? Do I need to make any modifications?
jvschwarz

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:03 am

3 NimH cells (~3.6v) in series is a good power source for the Minty and will give you a some extra run-time as well. The only modification required is to solder on a 3xAA holder. :)
adafruit_support_bill

by jsappo on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 am

Hey everybody!

I just encountered this same problem and fixed it!

It's a wonky dock connector straight up.

I have outlined the entire process for fixing it here on my blog at: http://www.johnsappo.com/blog/2011/7/24/iphone-3gs-fix-charging-is-not-supported-with-this-accessory.html

Hit me up with any questions.

Best.
jsappo

by scott-42 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:48 am

Nice writeup.

I love the screen shot at the end with the quote
I can power my iPhone now and it has the same great reception!
And the screen shot shows 2 bars. That made me laugh. :lol: I get the same "great reception" here. :lol:
scott-42

by adafruit on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:01 pm

wow! we always thought it was something particularly picky about the 3gs - sometimes plugging it in again it 'suddenly works' - and the 4G had less problems.
Thank you for clarifying the problem - altho we're not sure we recommend everyone perform this fix ;)
adafruit

by xxhaxx on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:22 pm

You can try using a orignal USB cable from apple. I have 1 original and 3 third party and it seems like only the original would charge without any issues
xxhaxx