MintyBoost 1A ?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Andrew

MintyBoost 1A ?

Post by Andrew »

Hello Ladyada!

You've done perfect job, Minty has great design and it's well documented!

I'm going to order it, but I'm afraid of following - my Pocket Loox 720 require s much more power, than 100mA. Even connected to USB (500mA) it charges veeery slowly. As I know, it needs 1A... So, is it possible to change schematics to produce more power? I found similar IC MAX608 can give 1A, but it has different pinout and control, than MAX756.
http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/Produc ... =MAX608EPA

What do you think about this case?

Andrew

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

most chips that give more power need an external switch. you can try making it on a breadboard. AA's dont like giving more than 1A at a time, so efficiency will go down. you could always just use it to tricklecharge! :)
another thing is, if you plug it into usb to charge its not allowed to ever take more than 500ma.
also, what it says on the side is always overstated for safety reasons.

weylan

more current also

Post by weylan »

I was thinking of doing the same things for adding more current then 100mah. I was thinking of charging multiple devices at the same time. Say a phone and a palm device from the same charger with small usb hub as the splitter, or just charging a blackberry, 100mah may just take too long...

weylan

using alternate battery sources

Post by weylan »

By the way the article is awsome!

I like the setup. I would am planning to buy a couple of kits. But I was wondering about the battery source.

In full maker style I pulls laptop batteries apart and use the 16850 batteries and wonder if using those would work as well as using 3 cells for the added efficency more often?

Any idea of a low battery warning indicator or way of telling the batteries are just too low?

adafruit

Re: using alternate battery sources

Post by adafruit »

weylan wrote:By the way the article is awsome!

I like the setup. I would am planning to buy a couple of kits. But I was wondering about the battery source.

In full maker style I pulls laptop batteries apart and use the 16850 batteries and wonder if using those would work as well as using 3 cells for the added efficency more often?
you want 3V for good efficiency, higher voltage is not necessarily more efficient
you can use D cells if you want, for more power

Any idea of a low battery warning indicator or way of telling the batteries are just too low?
theres a LBI on the chip but its not default, check the schematic and the datasheet for info about how to set up the indicator

Beweglich

Post by Beweglich »

Did anyone attempt a 1A mintyboost that is what I need for my Axim x51v, or so it seems, and I would like to know what to get to modify a Minty boost to put out 1A.
Could someone say just substitute this MAX608EPA say for the included chip?
Or would this not work?

hal90002010

Post by hal90002010 »

What are you willing to pay, the batteries are removable.

There are 2 available at $60.00 and $100.00 from dell.

A battery powered charger that puts out 5 volts at 2 amps running on 4 D Cells runs $160.00 premade (it comes as a kit and that is the only way it is sold)

I realize that all are more than $20.00 but 2 amp at 5 volts evidently is not cheap.

If i see anything cheaper i will post it.

Beweglich

Post by Beweglich »

Thanks, I was willing to pay for a sample chip and a minty boost and just substitute because AA's ccan put out 1A and that is what I need, but it seems that is impossible so like you said my cheapest way out was to buy an extended battery.

leems425

Re: MintyBoost 1A ?

Post by leems425 »

Can you redesign the mintyboost to run off lithium batteries instead of AA with 2 amp output ? That way you can use much higher capacity batteries and possibly integrate the solar charger too.

nsayer

Re: MintyBoost 1A ?

Post by nsayer »

I don't know if it's interesting, but I designed a 2A @ 5V *buck* converter as a Raspberry Pi power supply (Pi Power). You could adapt it (or its design) into a high powered USB power source. You'd need to power it from a *minimum* of 4 cells, since - as a buck converter - it needs a *higher* voltage to *reduce* down to 5V.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”