Alternate Boost Containers

by teknojo on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Howdy!

I have read a of a few people having trouble finding the altoids gum container that fits the project so well. I did too. Looked in a bunch of shops all over Ventura and San Diego California as well as a bunch in the Philadelphia area with no luck.

I started looking around for alternatives but only found one possibly suitable and that was after I had finished making a container. The Wii gum container looks like it is the appropriate width though it has a significant amount of length that may need filling.

What I decided to go with was leather. I had a bunch laying about and decided to see what I could do. It turned out pretty good for a first rough run. I think I will make another with a good stain and better stitching but this has worked like a charm thus far. I posted some images of it on Flickr:

I have a pattern for it if folks are interested.

-J.R.
teknojo

Re: Alternate Boost Containers

by teknojo on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Hmm... image links seem to have failed.

I will try an upload of the images instead.

Minty Boost Leather Container Front CU reduced.jpg
Minty Boost Leather Container Front CU reduced.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 6692 times

Minty Boost Leather Container Interior 1 Reduced.jpg
Minty Boost Leather Container Interior 1 Reduced.jpg (69.26 KiB) Viewed 6692 times

Tell me what you think.
Last edited by teknojo on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
teknojo

by teknojo on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Pictures reduced to normally viewable size woot!

Full size images are available on my Flickr account. Search people for Teknojo and look under my Maker file if you are interested.
Last edited by teknojo on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
teknojo

by Len17 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:58 pm

I like the embossed power symbol. :)
Len17

by teknojo on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks!
teknojo

by teknojo on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Ha! Found some!

I found five Altoids gum tins on clearance at a Right Aid! So I get to experiment with the correct container and see how it compares to my made ones. Nifty!
teknojo

by hecamon on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Here is what I did once I realized that obtaining the proper case would take a few days to a week.

I am kind of happy that I did not find the Altoid gum case, as now I will have the cord with me at all times. I also was able to keep the usb adapter from protruding. It was not the smoothest and best looking when finished, but it works. I think that it would be interesting to experiment with adding another set of batteries to increase the amount of power available(I say interesting because as of right now it is beyond my abilities). I would be interested in creating a switch so that either pair could charge, but they would not charge at the same time. Just a thought.
Attachments
Alt6a.jpg
Alt6a.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
Alt3a.jpg
Alt3a.jpg (67.05 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
hecamon

by teknojo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:07 am

How did you mount the jack so that it is not protruding?
teknojo

by Snipeye on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:50 pm

They put the circuit board further back in the case - in a case other than altoids gun, there's space for that.
Snipeye

by revnull on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I have found another company that uses the same size case as Altoids gum. The catch is (depending on are your color preference) the tins only come in pink. Since I'm building my 1st MB3 for my wife, its not much of a problem. This case is identical to the Altoids tin, so I do not think its from a proprietary stamp. I'll be on the lookout for other brands that use the same case.

Link:
http://www.littlei.com/products/gum/fli ... ducts.html
revnull

by teknojo on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:22 pm

That link fails to load correctly. Can you give a company description so we can find it elsewhere.
teknojo

by mjlyons on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I was a conference last week and they gave me a 4GB thumb drive. I didn't care much about the drive, but was excited about the perfectly sized plastic case. Wooooo! I hollowed it out, cut a hole for the USB connector, and it works great. There's even a little magnet that keeps the lid shut but is easy to open when changing batteries. Pictures below:

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (60.75 KiB) Viewed 6051 times

photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (59.92 KiB) Viewed 6051 times

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (54.8 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
mjlyons

by noslenpar on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:03 pm

I found these in Amazon. It's called Little i Gum and they use the same exact tin as the Altoids Gum. They're very girly, but a little sand paper can fix that. And they're good if you're making one for a girl. I made one for my wife. I kept mine pink too, if anyone makes fun of my pink boost I just punch them in the face :) And they come with a little mirror inside that you can use for other crafty stuff.
It's too bad the MintyBoost V3 doesn't work with the iPhone 3GS, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Intense-Mirror-Peppermint-1-Ounce/dp/B0018R6A4Y/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img
noslenpar

by mglenadel on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:16 pm

@ hecamon — The Altoids Mints tin is my choice as well, but there is not enough room for two 2x battery holders because of the curved corners (the second holder doesn't go far enough: there is still a good 1/4" from the holder to the edge of the tin). Putting the cable in there is a great idea though. Or maybe keeping a pair of spare AAs in the empty area—if you buy a 4-pack, 2 go in the holder, 2 go to spare storage and they fit, I checked—with some foam to keep them from rattling.
mglenadel

by adafruit on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:52 pm

noslenpar wrote:I found these in Amazon. It's called Little i Gum and they use the same exact tin as the Altoids Gum. They're very girly, but a little sand paper can fix that. And they're good if you're making one for a girl. I made one for my wife. I kept mine pink too, if anyone makes fun of my pink boost I just punch them in the face :) And they come with a little mirror inside that you can use for other crafty stuff.
It's too bad the MintyBoost V3 doesn't work with the iPhone 3GS, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Intense-Mirror-Peppermint-1-Ounce/dp/B0018R6A4Y/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img

nice find! many many people with 3GS phones have it working with the mintyboost, its worth trying in case but whatever issue occured with that phone was fixed in the 4 so you can also upgrade :)
adafruit