Specalty Chargers (Ex. Motorola)

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zachninme

Specalty Chargers (Ex. Motorola)

Post by zachninme »

I was thinking of designing some Motorola chargers based on this principle. I haven't looked into any spec's yet, but if it all works out, I will document it :)

zachninme

Post by zachninme »

I looked into it, and Motorola does charge off of 5v.
My plan, on building one, would be to cut a car charger cable in half, and stick a female USB on the side that you would plug into the car, and a male on the other side. This way, you can still use it in your car, with MintyBoost, or with a computer!

jngnyc

Any progress?

Post by jngnyc »

Hi there,

just stumbled onto this board today... and was looking into building one of these for my motorola phone. What complicates this is that I have a motorola q, which requires a driver (or so I think) to charge via usb to computer...

I don't really expect you to help me with this, but I WAS wondering if you had any progress to report in the general motorola charger realm, if you had gotten it to work, with which model etc etc........

Thanks buddy!!

Entropy

Re: Any progress?

Post by Entropy »

jngnyc wrote:Hi there,

just stumbled onto this board today... and was looking into building one of these for my motorola phone. What complicates this is that I have a motorola q, which requires a driver (or so I think) to charge via usb to computer...

I don't really expect you to help me with this, but I WAS wondering if you had any progress to report in the general motorola charger realm, if you had gotten it to work, with which model etc etc........

Thanks buddy!!
Either cannibalize a car charger, or order a "dumb charger" cable from a third-party vendor. The MiniUSB connector has an extra pin not needed for USB. In standard cables this is not connected, but a de facto standard is to signal the presence of a "dumb" charger (instead of PC) to a device by grounding this extra pin.

I know HTC phones require this to charge without a PC, I think Motos do too.

Based on the comment at http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisyn ... v3_366.htm about including two cables, the Motos have the same rule.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”