Add Garmin Edge 305 To Compatible Devices

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bdombrow

Add Garmin Edge 305 To Compatible Devices

Post by bdombrow »

The minty boost is doing a fine job of powering my Edge 305. I left it running overnight and found it had switched to the internal battery with 2 bars left on the internal battery. It had showed external power when I started the whole thing. This guy will be logging some really log rides in the future.

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/ for more info on the Edge 305.

I'm guessing that other Garmin USB based GPS units can be charged with this as well.

bd

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

cool. good for long trail rides! about how long do you think it lasts?

bdombrow

Post by bdombrow »

I'm not sure yet. I've only gotten about 6 hrs out of it with the heart rate monitor and cadence sensor going. I've got a long ride planed in a couple of weeks. Its a two day trip, so I should be able to put it to the test.

It was still going after 14 hrs sitting on the dinning room table. I didn't have the heart rate monitor or cadence sensor going, so I'm not sure how that will affect it.

bdombrow

Post by bdombrow »

So far I've managed 13 hours on Energizer Lithium AA batteries and the minty boost is still going strong.

I went with the Lithiums since that is what I've had the best luck with in other GPS units.

I'll post another follow up when I finally get the batteries to die.

bd

bdombrow

Post by bdombrow »

I managed 6 days of riding Cycle Oregon with my minty boost stuffed into an old battery pack for a bike light.

I noticed the minty boost was no longer powering my Edge 305 after about 18 hrs of riding. Somehow the batteries managed to die while I was preoccupied climbing some steep hill, twice.

I used the energizer E2 lithium batteries. I'm guessing the minty boost will power will power an Edge 305 with the heart rate monitor for around 17 hours.

3 sets of batteries got me through 42 hours of riding. I put in the last set of batteries with only a couple hours to go.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

wow. BANNED!

pbp2007

Post by pbp2007 »

Thanks for your valuable information.
I'm particularly interested in recharging on the move because I will be riding Paris-Brest-Paris next August and I will need to power my Garmin 301 for the 90 hours that the event lasts... which is why I have ordered a kit.
I did my first 300 km Brevet last Saturday and had to recharge where I could find somebody willing to allow me to plug in the adapter I'd brought along. At the last control, 50 km from the end, I discovered that the commissaire's vehicle had an inverter I could have used any time!
Still, my GPS died with 20 km to go.
Of course, I hadn't bothered to strap on my backup old faithful Cateye Mity 2. That thing seems to run for years on the sniff of a battery.

jerryl_2000

Garmin 305

Post by jerryl_2000 »

What config did you use on R5

Pullup

or Pulldown

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”