Modding a MintyBoost to "MintyVape"

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dragonriot

Modding a MintyBoost to "MintyVape"

Post by dragonriot »

So, I've been wanting to build a Personal BANNED (BANNED) in an Altoids container for a while now. It's the perfect size to fit everything in there, with 2-4 batteries, regulated down to 5v or even 6v, from 7.4 or 9.6v depending on which batteries I use. I will of course only be using protected batteries intended for BANNED mods. The idea that I've been running through my head since I built a MintyBoost last year, is to use the Minty board with different components, so instead of boosting a 3.7v charge to 5v, that it limits the charge to 5v or 6v, or maybe variable voltage from 5 to 6v.

I was reading one of the other threads here about over-volting a MintyBoost with a 4.8v power pack, and was surprised to see that you guys thought it would overpower it and possibly destroy it. So, that's why I'm asking which parts need to be swapped in the MintyBoost design to Reduce instead of Boost the power. I'd still like to use the capacitors, as it would protect the atomizer coils from ramping up too fast like a lightbullb, but I'm certain I don't need the resistors that we use for a "steady flow" of power, since e-cigs are designed to "punch" the atomizer with power over a short burst, rather than a smooth power curve over the course of a few hours.

I have another MintyBoost kit here that happens to be missing one of the ceramic disc capacitors, so if anyone wants to give me a list of parts I would need, I would greatly appreciate it. Of course, I also have an option to use a single 3.7v 2700mAh TrustFire battery, so if it's not possible to build a "MintyRegulated", I can just modify the Boost a little bit for a 5v mod and a 3.7v power supply.

Thanks in advance...

By the way... if you guys haven't checked them out yet, look at e-cig protected batteries... They are enormous, rechargeable, and meant for high drain situations... You can use 1 18650 in place of 3 AA 1.2v batteries. =)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Modding a MintyBoost to "MintyVape"

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

which parts need to be swapped in the MintyBoost design to Reduce instead of Boost the power.
That would be a completely different design. The simplest way would be to use a linear regulator such as a 7085. But a switching "buck" regulator would be more efficient.

dragonriot

Post by dragonriot »

MintyVape is actually possible, though not in the way I had imagined it. I have successfully charged my USB Passthrough eGo-C BANNED with the Minty Boost... Now, my question for you guys is far simpler than it previously was. I'm no longer looking to mod MintyBoost to be an actual e-cig, but rather making the MintyBoost itself more efficient. My question is whether or not I can use an 18650 3.7v battery instead of the 2xAA rechargeable batteries. If you guys have never heard of an 18650 or other battery that is designated similarly, it is an 18mm x 65mm nominal battery that outputs 3.7v and has anywhere from 2000-3600mAh, depending on the brand or whether you get high drain or standard. Anyway.... is 3.7v too much for a MintyBoost to handle without any alterations?

adafruit_support_bill

An 18650 will work well with the minty.

dragonriot

Post by dragonriot »

Excellent news Adafruit. =) I'll finish up my build and post pics as soon as I can get the battery connectors next weekend. =) As a bonus, I think there may be enough room to store 2 extra batteries in the case with only one battery in the circuit. That means upwards of 6000mAh in ONE mintyboost case. =)

adafruit_support_bill

That means upwards of 6000mAh in ONE mintyboost case. =)
Nice! Looking forward to the pics.

Slamjam2000

Post by Slamjam2000 »

Ok. Am I reading this correctly? You can use 18650 batteries in the Minty Boost, in place of "standard" batteries? So you can use two of them in the battery holder. They will fit and not fry the circuit?

adafruit_support_bill

You do not use the stock battery holder. The 2200mAh, 4400hAh and 6600mAh 18650 based packs we have in the store are 3.7v and have leads attached. You just solder these leads to the MintyBoost in place of the normal battery holder.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”