Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

using MB to power powered USB hub
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

using MB to power powered USB hub

by lowky on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 am

I was wondering if the Minty Boost could be used to power a powered USB hub? My thought was to take a 4 port powered usb hub and use something like minty boost to provide the power instead of external power cord. maybe use a full size mint tin rather than the gum tin to contain everything. I am very very new to this sort of thing. just looking for a solution to eliminate a need for wall wart/powercord, especially when wanting to briefly powerup something like external drive that requires powered hub for quick download at wifi hotspot or that sort of thing. If you have a better idea that's appreciated too. I looked on google but didn't really see anything on powering the hub that way.
lowky

Re: using MB to power powered USB hub

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:17 pm

It can, as long as the total current draw of the devices you plan to connect (including the hub itself) doesn't exceed the capacity of the MintyBoost (~500mA). A standard USB port will supply up to 500mA, so this would not give you any more capacity than an unpowered hub.

adafruit_support_bill

by lowky on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm

adafruit_support wrote:It can, as long as the total current draw of the devices you plan to connect (including the hub itself) doesn't exceed the capacity of the MintyBoost (~500mA). A standard USB port will supply up to 500mA, so this would not give you any more capacity than an unpowered hub.

Thank you for the help, doesn't quite cover what I am looking for, wanting to take something like a belkin powered 4 usb hub (one of the smallest i've seen) and instead of powering it by ac wall wart, power it by batteries, for when you are in a public place (or outdoors) and want to use your powered hub, but don't have access to plug it in. I realize it's only a short term solution so would need to use rechargeables for this, but...

My portable drive demands it's own dedicated usb port, and my laptop only has two, trying to find a way to expand my usb options without having to drag along a power strip extra cords etc.
lowky

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:24 pm

What are the power requirements of the hub? You may be able to power it with just a straight battery pack.

adafruit_support_bill

by lowky on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:34 pm

adafruit_support wrote:What are the power requirements of the hub? You may be able to power it with just a straight battery pack.

will have to check into it, as I haven't purchased one yet, as i was trying to see if this was feasible first. will try to find out and post info.

*update* of course belkin doesn't list this on their website/product description, so I have sen't an email to support asking them, may not hear back until monday.
lowky

by lowky on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 am

5v input 500mA max output in powered mode
lowky

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am

I'm guessing they mean 500mA max per-port. Otherwise, there would be no advantage to it being 'powered'.

You could make a cheap portable 5v supply using a 6v battery pack (4xAA) and a low-dropout regulator.

adafruit_support_bill

by lowky on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:12 pm

adafruit_support wrote:I'm guessing they mean 500mA max per-port. Otherwise, there would be no advantage to it being 'powered'.

You could make a cheap portable 5v supply using a 6v battery pack (4xAA) and a low-dropout regulator.

thanks for the information
lowky