Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

MintyBoost Instructions and Solar Questions
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

MintyBoost Instructions and Solar Questions

by joec85 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Hello,

I am very new to electronics but I want to make this kit for my girlfriend's birthday. I wanted to ask if the instructions included in the kit were detailed enough for a beginner? Is there any way I could see a sample?

Also, I found another online tutorial to make a charger like this that uses a solar cell to recharge the rechargeable batteries. All it did was connect the solar cell and battery holder wires together before attaching them all to the USB circuit board. Can I do that with the Minty Boost kit as well with the solar cell I already bought?
joec85

Re: MintyBoost Instructions and Solar Questions

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 am

The instructions for all our kits are on-line. The MintyBoost is probably our most popular "beginner's" kit. The instructions and documentation are here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

For solar charging, we recommend using a Solar Charger. Simply connecting the solar cell in parallel with the batteries usually works well at noon on a cloudless day. But it will not be very effective in less than ideal solar conditions. For a detailed explanation, read the "Design Notes" section of our USB/DC/Solar charger tutorial. This tutorial also shows how to connect the charger & solar cell to a MintyBoost.

adafruit_support_bill