Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Use MintyBoost to power the Raspberry Pi?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Use MintyBoost to power the Raspberry Pi?

by dastagg on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:36 am

Hi,

I am trying to put together a "Supercomputer" using the Raspberry PI similiar to what they did at University of Southampton (http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspb ... ampton.htm).

I have 4 RPis that I can use for this project.

What I would like to do instead of using a power strip and plug 4 USB power supplies into the strip is use something like the MintyBoost (4 of them) and build them into the "rack" and then power them from a single AC/DC power converter.

However, 2 questions:

1) The RPi "needs?" 1000mA to run well. Can the MintyBoost be updated to supply this amount of power?
I wouldn't have an issue with buying the kits and then replacement parts. I would just need to know which ones to get.

2) I would need one AC/DC converter to power the MintyBoost instead of batteries. Any ideas of what I can use for that?

Thanks.
dastagg

Re: Use MintyBoost to power the Raspberry Pi?

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

The Minty can't be modified for 1A output. It would need to be redesigned around a different chip.

But if you have AC power available, why use a boost converter at all? Just get a 5v regulated supply. One of these with some usb connectors spliced on will easily power a whole Pi rack.

adafruit_support_bill