Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Anyway to incorporate a NIMH charging circuit?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Anyway to incorporate a NIMH charging circuit?

by nginx on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Mintyboost is already cool but it would be even cooler if there was a built-in circuitry to charge the NIMH batteries after they get depleted. Then it would be a complete all-in-solution as I often forget to carry a separate NiMH charger with me.

As I understand there are two ways of charging NiMH. One is the dumb way by fixing the charge current at 0.1C and then setting a timer but its slow and also not recommended. Another way is the negative delta V termination method which I have already seen in my Turnigy Accucel-6. It's unreliable on its own for anything less than 3 cells but coupled with a thermal sensor it works perfectly.

Obviously the Turnigy being a multi-purpose charger is a bit too big to lug around in one's pocket. Do you think its possible to incorporate the same charging mechanism within mintyboost?
nginx

Re: Anyway to incorporate a NIMH charging circuit?

by adafruit on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:44 pm

thanks, right now we have seperate Lipoly charging circuits - no plans to incorporate a NiMH charger. nothing beats a good desktop battery charger!

adafruit