Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Charging - from wall, USB and solar?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Charging - from wall, USB and solar?

by PyroPcon on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 am

I just recently built my first MintyBoost and it seems to be working great! (The IC gets quite hot when charging my iPhone 4 and the standard Duracell ProCell AAs got warm, but I understand this to be normal as long as the "sizzle" test for the IC is good).

What I would like to do is to add in the ability to use a set of rechargeable AAs and to add a small solar panel to the top of the case for a "trickle" solar charge, and to also add in the ability to charge via USB and a wall adapter (adding a barrel-jack to the minty boost and using a wall wart or similar style transformer).

What would be the best way to go about doing this? I am fairly new to the world of creating my own electronics. I know there is a LiPo battery pack with solar charger set of instructions and such on the website, but I would like to keep to the 2 (or maybe 3) AA batteries so that as a last resort to charge I can buy a set of AAs and chuck them in.

Where would be the best place to begin here? Taking all suggestions!
PyroPcon

Re: Charging - from wall, USB and solar?

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm

If you want to stick with NiMH rechargeables and you are happy with trickle charging, this is a nice tutorial to start with : http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2008/si ... -circuits/

adafruit_support_bill