Help please!!! Christmas emergency!!!!!!

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Maryblake23

Re: Help please!!! Christmas emergency!!!!!!

Post by Maryblake23 »

I'm in Charleston, WV. I'm an artist and normally more than able to conquer new abilities, however my eye-sight was ravaged 7 years ago by a stroke. I really wanted to present my web designer husband with this gift to show him how much I appreciate him and all of his sacrifices. I've gone through four of these damn kits and I can't get it to work! This kind of stuff usually comes so easy for me, I feel like a failure and I really wanted to surprise him. I'll get it in the end if I have to go through 100 kits, it's war now.

nginx

Post by nginx »

Don't feel bad. Sometimes its the good intentions that matter more than the actual gift. You can even work together with your husband to get this done. He will appreciate you for trying so hard.

john444

Post by john444 »

Hi MaryBlake23,

Your connections look as if your solder does not have flux.

Are you using Lead Solder that includes flux in the center?
For general electronics such as circuit boards, i would recommend Ersin Multicore 63/37.
Also readily available is Kester 60/40. The first number represents the % of tin.
the second is the % of lead.

Solders to avoid are 'plumbing solder', 40/60, 50/50, acid core and solder with no flux in the core.
Avoid "lead free" solders until you have significant experience soldering.
As a hobbiest, the amount of lead you would expose to the environment is trivial - IMHO.

The rosin flux greatly helps the solder behave. The flux helps the solder flow easily.
Adding a little solder with flux will often 'clean up' a joint that was all pointy.

You can also purchase just the flux. If you buy flux, get "activated" rosin flux.
This rosin flux is often available in the plumbing section of hardware stores.
Look for it in a small round metal can similar to what 'smokeless tobacco' comes in.
A tiny amount on the tip of a toothpick or match-stick will probably be more than enough
to make a single solder joint look all smooth and shiny as it should.

Good Luck, John

Maryblake23

Post by Maryblake23 »

I was going to get a solder wick to suck up the extra solder. Thoughts?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Solder wick works. I also like the solder-sucker. https://www.adafruit.com/products/148

What kind of soldering iron are you using?
And what kind of solder?

NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Just thought I would post some friendly advice and encouragement!

After putting 5 of these together today I found it worked best for me that when I got frustrated to (unplug my iron for saftey) and step away for a while. also to help keep your soldering iron clean you need either a damp sponge or you can go to your local Radio Shack and get a brass sponge for a few bucks (I strongly recommend this). finally, don't feel like a failure! you are giving it your best and that (as cliche as it sounds) is all anyone can ask of you.

Sincerely, NathanJ

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”