Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

MintyBoost Fundamental
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

MintyBoost Fundamental

by Compass on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:04 am

Hello:

I recently purchased an Iphone 5, and been thinking about a small portable field charger for it when I do not have access to an outlet, or computer for the USB port.

Before finding Adafruit, and coming across the MintyBoost, I started to rig up my own portable charger using the following:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=28650

A two cell LiFEPo battery pack which is a safer chemistry than a Lithium Polymer battery, and wire it up to this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=28248

Voltage regulator which takes 6-23v input to a 5.1v out. I use these to power my servos and receiver separately in my model aircraft.
I cut up and spliced a sacrifical USB cable and simply soldered the power connections and left the two data wires floating.
See photo attached. The thing with the checkerboard was the battery. I took it apart and broke it down to two 3.3v single cells for use with the Mintyboost.

After rigging it up (I have not connected it to the iphone yet), I came across Adafruit and read about the Mintyboost.

Please confirm/correct my understanding as it applies for iphones (iphone 5 specifically):

As a way to ensure the use of Apple only products, they put a voltage divider to the two data pins on the USB connector. If the iphone does not sense a 2 volt (or thereabouts) potential across the two data lines, the iphone will not/should not charge correct?

The iphone obviously charges fine when I plug the lightening cable into the usb port of my computer.
Also, when I purchased this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details
And plug it into my carport, it also charges my iphone just fine.

In order for the MintyBoost to work, it requires a voltage divider on the data pins...why? How does the iphone know the difference between a usb connection to a computer, a car-port-to-usb, or a lithium battery-to-usb setup like the attached photo, or a pre-version 3 MintyBoost?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Compass
Attachments
port-power 002.JPG
port-power 002.JPG (81.74 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Compass

Re: MintyBoost Fundamental

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 am

The iPhone 5 and most current generation phones appear to adhere to the new charging standard which calls for D+/D- to be shorted together. There is a good summary of the charging protocols here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

adafruit_support_bill

by Compass on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:31 pm

From the Wiki:
When D+ = D- = 2V, the device may pull up to 500 mA. When D+ = 2.0 V and D- = 2.8 V, the device may pull up to 1000 mA of current.

I finished putting the MintyBoost together, everything checks out ok, 5v across the power leads, and 2v across the D+ & D-. Works fine on my iphone 5. I did not need to short the two data wires.

So the iphone is looking for a resistor signal (D+ & D- = 2.0 volts in this case) in order to provide a current up to 500ma.

Question is...when I plug into a computer usb, or a car adapter to usb like the Griffin in the first post, it works. There is no resistor signal, no shorted data pins, yet it works. Why?

Is there a feature whereby the iphone can detect what is essentially a large capacity power source such as a cpu power supply, ac to dc apple wall adapter, 12 volt car battery, and bypasses this resistor signal?

Just trying to understand.

Thanks,
Compass
Compass

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:29 am

For the computer USB port, the phone will 'talk' over the data lines to figure out what it is connected to and negotiate a charge rate. If the thing doesn't 'talk' then it looks for the voltage levels and goes by that. Most car chargers and wall chargers these days have a resistor network built in for that purpose.

adafruit_support_bill