iPhone 3G

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Syn7

iPhone 3G

Post by Syn7 »

I'm sorry if this is a redundant post. I did search the forum and found so so much for 3GS but nothing for just 3G. I see all these people saying 3G has specific issues that need to be addressed with the Minty Boost 3.0. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate anywhere that addresses how to deal with the issue. Any links would be much appreciated. Thanx.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: iPhone 3G

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It is covered in this section of the tutorial:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Thanx. :)

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Hi,

So my mintyboost 3.0 came. I read all the instructions and info on the iPhone issue. I understand it well enough. Just one question, What worked for the 3G didn't work for the newer models. But the new config will work for 3G and better, yes?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have had people report different results. Most of the latest generation phones seem to work best with the data lines shorted. The 3G mostly seems to work either way. The 3G-S is the pickiest one of all.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

Sweet.... Thanx for the info. Much appreciated.

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

K, so I have the data pins at roughly 2v. Plugged in the phone. It got really hot, but not too hot. Although I must admit I didn't expect the batteries to get so hot. But then they weren't premium batteries, and it wasn't so hot that I felt I had to yank em. But it was too hot to keep my hand there for more than 2 seconds or so. But good news, it was working. It was at a 1/4 charge, got it up to half and then when I went to check on it it then went to not supported. I wasn't expecting that at all. I figured I would have seen that from the get go if I was gonna see it at all. You think that was because of the very average alkalines? Maybe they got too hot? I did have the phone off like suggested.

I read that connecting the data pins together is a solution for the 3gs and higher, but would that make it not work for the 3g if the 3 g was working without them being connected?

Basically I'm making it as an emergency charger and I don't wanna buy top of the line batteries before I know if it even works, so if connecting the data pins won't do any harm I would like to try that first, but I figured I would ask first. I have a ton of regular alkalines that come in like the 20 pack. They last just pretty long in everything else I use them for. Not sure though, you guys did go out of your way to specify that better batteries get better results. So I figured I would just ask. It's a gift so I don't wanna mess it up. If it was for me I would just mess around till it worked or I broke it, lol.

Thanx

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

It's normal for the batteries to get hot.
Going from a quarter-charge to a half is about what you can expect out of a pair of AA's. So, when the batteries were depleted, the voltage on the data pins probably dropped to a level that triggered the 'not supported' message.

Sounds to me like you've got it working. :D

Syn7

Post by Syn7 »

I can live with that. :D

thanx.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”