MintyBoost attempt #2!

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Roth2755

MintyBoost attempt #2!

Post by Roth2755 »

Hello everyone, Im going to build another mintyboost but I have a few questions. Should I use a 40 watt or 20 watt iron? Is it safe to work on a wooden table?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MintyBoost attempt #2!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'd use the 40-watt iron if you can. A 20 watt iron will probably work, but it is a little underpowered. If you work too fast, the tip temperature will drop and your joint quality will suffer. Give it some time between joints to come back up to temperature.

In any case - keep the tip clean. Give it a wipe on a damp sponge or some brass wool between joints.

You might want to read through our soldering guide before you start: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... ring/tools

Roth2755

Post by Roth2755 »

Thanks, i made it and I got 4.9 volts on pins 1 and 4 and almost 2 volts on pins 3 and 4. I think the batteries I used are almost dead so im recharging them now.

adafruit_support_bill

i made it and I got 4.9 volts on pins 1 and 4 and almost 2 volts on pins 3 and 4.
That's a good sign! :D

Roth2755

Post by Roth2755 »

So I finished the build. I used 2300 mah rechargable energizers. The batteries stay room temp but the chip on the board gets really hot. I dont know if it was just because im using it while its charging or whatever. Also sometimes I even get the temperature error on my ipod. Also when the batteries start to drain low I get the charging not supported error. I will probably invest in high drain batteries eventually. I dont want to put it in a case quite yet either. It also charged my ipod about 20% in 20 minutes so im happy it works.

Roth2755

Post by Roth2755 »

Nevermind about the temperature thing, I just overreacted a bit. Im also wondering what batteries to use. Im thinking about Eneloop XX batteries

adafruit_support_bill

The mintyboost converter chip does run hot. It is common concern and is mentioned in the FAQ.
20% on a set of AA batteries is about what others have reported. Phones have pretty high capacity LiPos these days. Many people have reported good results with Eneloops. They do well in high-drain conditions - and are rechargeable too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”