Minty Boost not working

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Totalslaughter

Minty Boost not working

Post by Totalslaughter »

So I followed the tutorial carefully and took my time and tried to make sure every part was in the right place and right orientation. I also checked the forums once I started to have problems during the testing phase prior to attaching the USB socket. From looking at the forums and others people's problems and solutions I went back and resoldered pretty much everything and also tested for continuity between top and bottom of the board for most of the connections. Still having the same problem, wondering if it could be due to a faulty component and if so which and is there a way to test it / them with a fluke?

The chip starts to heat up really hot as soon as I put the batteries into the battery holder, with nothing plugged in to charge obviously since USB port is not in yet. It concerned me that it was getting hot with no load so I pulled the batteries right away. Checked everything as mentioned above and then put the batteries in and took a voltage reading real quick before pulling the batteries. Was only getting around 2.5v where I sould be getting 5. Pictures attached, the backside one didn't turn out super sharp, can take another if needs be. Thanks.
Attachments
Minty_3.jpg
Minty_3.jpg (321 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Minty_2.jpg
Minty_2.jpg (314.35 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
minty_1.jpg
minty_1.jpg (418.7 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Minty Boost not working

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hmmm. The build looks OK.

As a place to start, check for continuity between the red wire and:
- the black wire.
- pin 1 of the chip
- pin 3 of the chip
- pin 8 of the chip
- the negative pins of the two electrolytic (can) caps.

There shouldn't be any...

Here are the pin assignments
minty_pins.png
minty_pins.png (272.82 KiB) Viewed 1174 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”