Need help with a solar project

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
enniov

Need help with a solar project

Post by enniov »

Hello,
I was looking at your minty boost and was wonder if you have the parts for my project or could help me with those parts.
Project:
I have a 13W solar panel that I want to plug into a USB port which will then connect to 8 AA rechargeable batteries (1.2 V 2500mA each) and would recharge 2 USB ports devises range from IPAD2 to Android phones

If possible a LCD to tell the what the voltage is on the battery bank and what the Solar panel is doing?

any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you
Ennio

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Need help with a solar project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What is the output voltage of your panel?
All of our chargers are designed for LiPo cells. But there are NiMH chargers available elsewhere. The 8xAA rechargeable cells would have to be separated into two 4xAA (4.8v) packs, since the maximum input to the MintyBoost is 5v. Monitoring battery and panel voltage is fairly straightforward with a microcontroller such as an Arduino.

enniov

Post by enniov »

I am currently building my solar panel each cell is .25W(80mA, 3.2V) I will have 60 cell in the panel.

adafruit_support_bill

each cell is .25W(80mA, 3.2V) I will have 60 cell in the panel.
3.2 * 60 = 192v. Are you wiring them all in series?

enniov

Post by enniov »

I have two thoughts on the build of the solar panel and your recommendation would be appreciated.

1) I would wire them together in groups of 4 cells in series to get about 12.8 Volts, and then wire the groups of 4 cells in parallel. I would divide the 40 cells into two groups of 20 and build a folding box to mount them in for a total of 10 watts

2) I would wire them together in groups of 5 cells in series to get about 16 Volts, and then wire the groups of 5 cells in parallel. I would divide the 50 cells into two groups of 25 and build a folding box to mount them in for a total of 12.5 watts

adafruit_support_bill

I think first you need to determine what the input voltage of your charger will be. That will determine what the output of your panel should be.

Then you need to consider adding blocking and/or bypass diodes to your panel to protect shaded cells and maintain efficiency of the panel when partly shaded.
http://www.oksolar.com/technical/diodes ... ystems.htm

enniov

Post by enniov »

I decided to make this panel
(I would wire them together in groups of 5 cells in series to get about 16 Volts, and then wire the groups of 5 cells in parallel. I would divide the 50 cells into two groups of 25 and build a folding box to mount them in for a total of 12.5 watts)

enniov

Post by enniov »

HI
I built my solar panel it is getting 22.5V and 6.25 amps
I would like to purchase a unit from you that will store power and recharge my Ipad-2 and Android phone
If you can guild me in the correct path I would appreciate it.

many thanks
Ennio

adafruit_support_bill

I built my solar panel it is getting 22.5V and 6.25 amps
That's an impressive output! Unfortunately, our solar charger is designed for a 6v panel.

enniov

Post by enniov »

Sorry I made a mistake that was supposed to be 6.25 watts

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”