Current Pull Too Low?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
m00dawg

Current Pull Too Low?

Post by m00dawg »

So I just put together the MintyBoost basically using the stock configuration. Seems to work great, but it seems like it takes much longer for my iPod Mini to charge when using it. My Nintendo DS seems to work, but sometimes it looks like it refuses to charge off the Boost. I'm wondering if the current draw might be too low?

For instance, when I plug in Minty Boost, my iPod shows that it has power connected to it, but when I start using it, the batter meter starts animating like it is charging the battery. This doesn't happen if the battery is fully charged and it is plugged into using my wall adapter.

I read on the site that Minty Boost outputs 100ma by default, but that you can jump it up to 500ma by changing the resistors? I was a bit confused about what exactly I need to do?

Also, I was thinking of actually putting Minty Boost in an Altoids Mint tin to try and see if I can put 3 batteries in instead of 2 (since I will be using rechargeable and the site says that 3 can help extend the charge?

Thanks for the help!

adafruit

Re: Current Pull Too Low?

Post by adafruit »

m00dawg wrote:So I just put together the MintyBoost basically using the stock configuration. Seems to work great, but it seems like it takes much longer for my iPod Mini to charge when using it. My Nintendo DS seems to work, but sometimes it looks like it refuses to charge off the Boost. I'm wondering if the current draw might be too low?
not sure, i would check the voltage output. there's no 'too low current draw' in this case.
For instance, when I plug in Minty Boost, my iPod shows that it has power connected to it, but when I start using it, the batter meter starts animating like it is charging the battery. This doesn't happen if the battery is fully charged and it is plugged into using my wall adapter.
sure you may be using more power than the mintyboost can provide
I read on the site that Minty Boost outputs 100ma by default, but that you can jump it up to 500ma by changing the resistors? I was a bit confused about what exactly I need to do?
make both resistors pullups
Also, I was thinking of actually putting Minty Boost in an Altoids Mint tin to try and see if I can put 3 batteries in instead of 2 (since I will be using rechargeable and the site says that 3 can help extend the charge?

Thanks for the help!
it may...but if you want more total juice its eaiser to just go with C or D cell batteries

m00dawg

Post by m00dawg »

Come to find out, it works much better when you actually use GOOD batteries :) I was using old NiMH batteries and I guess they were not holding a proper charge which caused all the weirdness. After putting in newer and known good rechargeables, MintyBoost is working like a champ!

On a tangent, since you mentioned using C/D's, any idea what the runtimes are between them an using AA's? Seems like it would really increase the bulk and MintyBoost fits so nicely in my pocket, but I was curious just the same.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it completely depends on the device you use, you can read the faq on the mintyboost page for more info

darus67

Post by darus67 »

I've looked at the specs for some of the C & D NiMH rechargables and they don't have any higher mAh capacity than the AA cells. Thats likely not true for ALL brands, but just a heads up.

I have no idea if this is true for alkaline cells, or not. I've never seen published specs for the mAh capacity of alkaline cells.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”