iPod Classic is flakey with older Minty Boosts?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tuffshed

iPod Classic is flakey with older Minty Boosts?

Post by tuffshed »

I have an older Minty Boost, I don't know which one, but the PCB is green and I had to solder the resistor to a cap to get it working on my iPod Video.

So now I have a new iPod Classic 160 Gb. I tried the MB and it seemed to charge with firware version 1.0.1. I then upgraded to 1.0.2 and it didn't seem to charge, then one time it did, then mostly it won't recognize it and charge. It's flakey, why would that be? Well I'm taking a long trip and need to have a charger so I think I'll get the new MB and see how that goes since I don't have time to mess around debugging this, and besides I used Shoe Goo to put the whole thing together solidly and there is no way to extract it without destroying it.

My real question is : Will the latest PCB with the 100k resistors work with the iPod Classic 160GB FW version 1.0.2 ?

Why did the old MB work sometimes? Why is this sooooooooooooo complicated? Isn't USB voltage just a voltage? Why is this or that iPod or other USB device so picky about working? Why doesn't this happen ever using a computer USB port?

Thanks all,

- Mike (aka tuffshed)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

using 100k resistors should fix the problem

basically apple tries to screw over small accessory makers by changing how their devices charge with each revision. they want licensing fees for makers to have "designed for ipod" logos on their devices. (i talked to the owner of a large accessory company and he pretty much verified this)

tuffshed

Thanks...I'll verify, SW fool has other questions...

Post by tuffshed »

I figured as much. Apple is no better than Mr. Bill IMHO, choose your evil empire, a black death star or a white death star(now also in designer colors)...

I'll verify when I get the new kit if this works and post here but it will be a week or two. My order is in, now I just have to chew a whole tub of gum...

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, and I am just a lowly software engineer and don't understand those volty, shocky hardware thingies but...

Isn't 5 volts DC just 5 volts DC (isn't that what is in a USB)? A plus terminal, a minus terminal and a certain amperage availability, true? I've had 4 different iPods and used the original wall charger I got years ago and it never fails. Also, any computer USB port I've ever plugged into works as well. Is it something to do with the current draw of the smaller battery powered chargers?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the ipods look at the impedence on the datalines. different revisions of ipods want to see different pullup resistors.

tuffshed

100K in Pullup, AOK for 160gb iPod Classic

Post by tuffshed »

I just got done soldering up a v1.2 Minty Boost. I used the 100k resistors in the pull UP position and everything works fine on my 160gb iPod Classic

Thanks ladyada !

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

great! thanks for keeping me updated!

alfaskop

Post by alfaskop »

I cant get my iPod Touch to work with MintyBoost v1.1.. is that so that it wont or is there any hack??

Ive replaced the 15kohm resistors with 100kohm, but it still wont work.. I can charge my old 5th gen ipod, but not this one.. Do i have to purchase a newer rev of the MintyBoost??

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes, you'll also have to do the pullup hack, its documented on the site

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”