iPhone shows 'Charging' icon, but doesn't charge!

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
erohead

iPhone shows 'Charging' icon, but doesn't charge!

Post by erohead »

Hi guys,

I got my mintyboost kit a while ago, but just had the time to put it together this week. I installed the 100K resistors as recommended in the main iPhone thread, but unfortunately, it seems like it's not working perfectly yet!

When I plug the mintyboost into the iPhone with brand new alkalines, the iPhone wakes up and shows the 'charging' icon in the top bar. But after ~2 hours, the battery gauge doesn't move, in fact it ends up dropping. Eventually, the icon changes to the 'plugged in' symbol even though the battery is nowhere near fully charged.

I know the mintyboost itself is working with other electronics, it charges my DS great!

Any suggestions/ideas that could help me out?

Thanks very much,

Eric

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm. thanks for the bug report ill check it out.

Tezuka

Post by Tezuka »

Hi,
I'm having the same problem as erohead, near to 2 hours the icon changes to the plugged in symbol but it is not fully charged. Some info, using fw v1.1.2, alkaline batteries and using the mintyboost kit bought from adafruit. One question, the power inductor, L1, supplied to me in the kit is of a different manufacturer Sumitu..(the remaining letters were cut out), different from the one pictured on the instructions will that affect anything?
thanks

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try using rechargable batteries, does that help?

Tezuka

Post by Tezuka »

Hi,
sorry for the late reply just got the rechargeable batteries. However, it drains the battery of my iPhone instead of charging any ideas why?
thanks

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm i have duplicated this behaviour. its really bizarre: the iphone says charging, there's current going into the iphone but its not charging. ill keep looking into this....but there may not be a fix :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”