R5 Hack - Where?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nivanov

R5 Hack - Where?

Post by nivanov »

Hey everyone,
I just built a MintyBoost v1.2 I tested it with a USB fan (works) and plugged my Zune into it (also appeared to work). Then I plugged in my Zune for about 20 minutes and saw the battery indicator go up a notch. Then, however, I left it overnight and in the morning found Zune almost completely discharged. I searched the forums and it seems that ladyada mentioned the R5 hack, and people reported it working great with the zune. I was wondering if:

a) You think r5 is the key to my problem
b) Where I can find the description for r5 hack (ladyada mentioned it was "posted on the website" but I can't find any links).

For MintyBoost, I used standard resistors, not the Ipod ones. Is r5 hack just using the Ipod resistors instead of the regular ones? Also, for Zune, do you recommend Pullup or Pulldown resistor installation?

Any other advice from Zune users is very appreciated. Thanks!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you can search the forums, i believe a pullup resistor is best. i dont have a zune so im only going on the reports of others....
the 'hack' is only for v1.1 mintyboosts

nivanov

Post by nivanov »

Do you think there's any point to trying to use 100k Resistors (or w/e it is for Iphone) as opposed to R4/R5. I don't know much about circuits (software engineering is my thing) so I apologize if that's a stupid question

I'm willing to write off a bunch of weird behavior to cheap batteries (Rayovac - they looked kind of old when i bought em). However, the unit actually discharging Zune really baffles me. I'll keep playing around with it for now - try to switch to pulldown instead of pullup

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yeah id try the 100k's and let me know if that is better

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”