Solar panel has wrong connector

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
spathman

Solar panel has wrong connector

Post by spathman »

I ordered your minty boost project with the additional solar panel and Li poly kit. The solar panel in ordered on this invoice (415539), which is the one you recommended, has a different barrel connector size than the barrel connector receiver on the circuit board.

adafruit

Re: Solar panel has wrong connector

Post by adafruit »

That is correct, we do not manufacture the solar panels and they come with a non-standard connector. The tutorial covers how to use it:

http://learn.adafruit.com/usb-dc-and-so ... reparation

spathman

Post by spathman »

And the reason this isn't in the kit is...... Now I'm on the hook for a third shipping fee.

lkeyes

Post by lkeyes »

Hi....I'm a little confused about this as well. I received the minty-boost with the solar panel with the "wrong" connector, and the kit was supplied with an additional red/black wires terminated with a white terminal plug (same as the plug on the battery. (This additional plug with leads appears in the photo for the kit.)

Is this the plug which is supposed to be substituted for the 4mm barrel plug, and then plugged in to the jack labeled "Load"? If not, I think I have to order some additional parts. (Would also have appreciated the shrink tubing).

Thanks.

kevinrs

Post by kevinrs »

Because it's not all packaged as a kit, it doesn't all come together. If you look at the details in the user guide, you see that on http://learn.adafruit.com/usb-dc-and-so ... reparation it gives 2 different ways to add the correct adapter, that need different parts.

After prepping, the solar panel plugs into the black DC jack, the small white plug with the red and black wires is for the load connection, you will solder it to the mintyboost or other load.

flynnstoned

Post by flynnstoned »

While I have the correct jacks sitting around, might I suggest altering the bold text in the solar charger description to point out that 'designed for' doesn't actually mean mechanically compatible.

While it was silly of us to assume the bold text at the top of the description was as accurate as the rest of the text it would be nice if it was.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

text has been slightly adjusted!

flynnstoned

Post by flynnstoned »

Speedy!, thanks :).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”