How to securely mount the PCB/USB connector to the tin

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ppang1968

How to securely mount the PCB/USB connector to the tin

Post by ppang1968 »

Can someone help? I just received my v1.2 kit. What is the best way to securely mount the PCB/USB connector to the tin.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ppang1968

Post by ppang1968 »

As you can tell I have not explored all areas of your site. I visited FAQ and also found the soldering instructions. Thanks for pointing me to the instructions related to the case. I think I have all the info needed to begin the build...but I'll need to do some shopping for some tools firsts ie, snippers, a suitable vice etc. I do have a desire to make the USB connector flush with the tin...well, as space permits, I try to put it as far back as possible. Having the connector stick out so much is undesireable to me.

ppang1968

I built the MintyBoost with rectangular hole!!!!

Post by ppang1968 »

All, just wanted to share my experience. I wanted to make a rectangular hole for the USB connector and not snip it from the top. I started some holes using a drill and then once large enough, I used rotary (dremel like) tool to grind away...often checking the size to ensure the rectangular hole didn't get too big. I had to bend the tip of USB connector straight as the tip of the connector is flared out...bending it straight allowed the USB connector to fit thru as snug as possible. The outcome was satisfactory.

The next interesting thing was slipping the connector thru with the PCB having the dbl sided tape on it. Was a little tricky but was doable. Boy, that tape is pretty sticky. I was able to put the PCB/connector approx 1/8th inch back into the tin. This means the connector sticks out of the tin 1/8th less. I am very satsified with the outcome.

I would upload a photo...only thing is I don't know how. It appears photos needs to be hosted somewhere else and accessible via URL.

Operationally (15k pull-up config):
Tried it on the following:

Ipod nana 3rd gen: appears to be working
Nintendo DS Lite: appears to be working
Nokia VX3300 cell phone: Works somewhat but unit stops charging saying "Charging complete" when it is not. This phenomenon is not unique to the MintyBoost. This happens when I use knock off AC wall outlet charger.

[/list]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”