razr cable

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikenh1642

razr cable

Post by mikenh1642 »

is anyone selling these or are they really easy to make (usable w/ mintyboost) if so where are the plans or where can i buy one. i cant figure out the diagram on the site

Droidiphile

Post by Droidiphile »

Follow the link for construction steps. I think a schematic is part of the instructions. It is a cake walk if you know what you are doing. If you can't figure out the polarity of a diode, for example, then you will need to pay attention to the instructions rather closely. In any case, it is an easy project.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/make.html

bendix

razr cable

Post by bendix »

I just made one a few hours ago (my first). I have a Razr V3. It is not difficult. I would use the cable splicing method, then you will not have to worry about the diagrams, resistors, etc. Follow the first poster's instructions in:

http://tinyurl.com/3crf3b

Or, here is my account of what I did. Forgive me if it is simplistic, I'm no pro at this:

You need a charging cable for the Razr that you can sacrifice. I used the wall charger that came with the phone. You also need a USB cable with a plug that can connect to the USB A female plug on the Minty Boost, so you need a cable with a USB A male plug on one end. This cable you also need to sacrifice.

1. Measuring from the mini-USB plug end, I cut the charger cable at roughly length I wanted my final cable to be, minus a little bit. For me, that was around six inches. The black wall-wart plug is no longer needed.

2. I cut the USB A cable near the USB A plug end, but left a couple of inches of cable so I had some wire to splice with the other cable.

3. I stripped the white covering off of the USB A cable, about an inch down from the cut end, exposing four wires, all surrounded by layer of silver wire. I snipped off all of the silver surrounding wire, snipped off the green wire, and the white wire, leaving only a black and a red wire. I stripped the ends of these two wires. I then stripped the ends of the charger cable wires (both black, one with a dashed grey line running along its length).

4. I spliced the black wire of the USB A cable to the wire from the charger cable with a dashed grey line on it. I spliced the red wire from the USB A cable to the wire from the charger cable with no markings on it.

5. I put a dab of solder on each splice for good measure, then taped them up with electrical tape, making sure they were not able to come in contact with each other. I'm sure there is a prettier way to do this, but it will serve my purpose.

That is it! I plugged the ends into the Minty Boost and the Razr, and the Razr recognized that it was charging. Unfortunately, my phone is all charged up, so I have yet to do a real test.

Comments, corrections, etc. are welcome.

mikenh1642

Post by mikenh1642 »

so if i cut the charger cable and put the female (a) on to the splice of the wall charger then put the male and 5 pin together that would work.. If i use the extension cable to do this can i plug the cable we made for the mintyboost into the female wall adapter and charge that way 2?? i think it would work its basically an adapter for a usb wall charger now.......

Comments???

bendix

Post by bendix »

I think I'm following you. I used a USB A to USB Mini B cable, so what I have left after cutting it in half is a USB Mini B, and the leftover wall plug. Here is a photo:

http://tinyurl.com/327vuu

Are you suggesting splicing the two unattached cable ends together? I don't know enough about output from wall chargers to be able to offer an opinion. Perhaps someone else may know if this could be used as a wall charger.

mikenh1642

Post by mikenh1642 »

ok so going off of that picture... thats exactly what id do, but instead of using the white usb A to usb B mini, i would use a usb A extension (male & female ends) so i can plug the bottom pic cable into the carger and still use it as a wall charger

mikenh1642

Post by mikenh1642 »

ok so i used the spliced cable method. i used the charger and the usb A extension cable (male and female ends). It worked flawlessly. the only problem i saw was that the charger had 3 wires inside the main cable the colors were red & black (of course) and yellow. In the USB cable there were 4 wires Red Black White And Green

In ease of use i connected the reds and blacks... BUT i connected the yellow charger cable with the green usb one (so i would have a straight through cable to the charger) i didnt have time to upload the pics, but i will in the next day or so....

thanks everyone

mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”