Charging an iPod Classic 80g

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
elliot42

Charging an iPod Classic 80g

Post by elliot42 »

First of all, thanks to everyone for the info posted in this forum, it has really helped me in getting my iPod to charge. I'm not using a mintyboost but I'm building a simple dock for charging and audio out and found almost nothing through google and irc on charging the new iPods until I came accross this forum.

I now have my iPod charging from a 5v phone charger and thought I'd post some numbers; hopefully they're of use to others making a similar setup or to ladyada in making future revisions of the mintyboost.

Alrighty.
The power adapter I'm using is rated at 5v / 0.7A.
The only way I can force the iPod into charge mode is to pull up both the data lines with 560k resistors (as noted by bluerondo in another thread).

While charging I get:
5.1v on the usb power line
2.14v on each data line
6uA load on the data lines (not sure how accurate that is with my cheap DMM)
360mA load with the screen backlight on
330mA with backlight off
this has just dropped to about 315mA (345mA w/ b/light) now that the battery icon is full (but still charging)
and dropping, now at 295mA .. 275mA .. 255mA .. guess it's going in to trickle nearer the end of the cycle. It's been charging probably about 1.5 - 2 hours although I interrupted it many times. Was almost in red battery when it started.
15 minutes later and it's at 140mA, still says it's charging.

A few more notes.
The data lines need to be pulled up when the iPod is plugged in but can be disconnected after that and the charge will continue.
When the data lines were in any other combination other than both pulled up, I measured a small load on the USB power line when I plugged the iPod in that stayed for about 4 seconds before returning to zero. 50-90mA depending on the configuration of each data line (pulled up / grounded / floating).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”