Solar MintyBoost Question

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robhry92

Solar MintyBoost Question

Post by robhry92 »

I am using the solar LiPo charger along with the MintyBoost to make a solar powered iPhone charger. My question is, is it safe to have a 6V 2W solar panel hooked up to the charger, and mintyboost hooked up to the solar charger, but with no battery? It is my understanding that the solar panel puts out up to 6v, and that the mintyboost is only rated for up to 5v. However, it is also my understanding that if the panel is getting full sunlight, the charger will just send power from the panel and bypass the battery. Could someone possibly answer this for me? do I need to solder a resistor into the charger?

Thanks!

robhry92

Re: Solar MintyBoost Question

Post by robhry92 »

It is also my understanding that you should not charge your iPhone with more than 5v. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Serpent

Re: Solar MintyBoost Question

Post by Serpent »

I have the same question.
Using a LiPoly Solar charger and MintyBoost I measured voltage out at the Load on a sunny day and got 6V and sometimes a bit more.
How does the MintyBoost handle this? It boosts up to 5V...but does it regulate down?

In your LiPoly Charger tutorial you mention putting in a LDO Regulator on the Load side. This necessary with MintyBoost?
Thanks,
K

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”