Help with my mintyboost project :)

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Katey1993

Help with my mintyboost project :)

Post by Katey1993 »

Hi there!

I'm kinda new to mintyboost and want to do this project I've seen some people make. It's a USB charger for my bike so I can ride and charge my phone at the same time. I just need a little help with some of the explanations as they breeze over some of the explanations.

Here is the link to the page that the project is on:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS

They just don't explain why they used some of these parts and how they came up with their circuit design. I just need some help so I understand the circuit and why they made it the way they did.

I'm new to electronics but I'm really interested so any help will be appreciated.

I'm going to try to do the project over the weekend so if you can offer any advice before then all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Kate :)

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Help with my mintyboost project :)

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What specifically are you having trouble with? They used a small electrolytic capacitor to smooth the generator voltage to the voltage regulator, and they use the ultracapacitor to maintain voltage to the mintyboost so that charging wouldn't be interrupted when the bike stops. They also put in a diode to prevent current from flowing back to the motor.

I don't see the diode or the ultracapacitor in the circuit diagram, but the diode would go on the VOLTAGE IN line, and the ultracapacitor would go in the VOLTAGE OUT line.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”